Safari Performance Lion vs. SL

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by markrox7, Jul 7, 2011.

1. markrox7 macrumors 6502

How does Safari in Lion (5.1) stack up to Safari in SL (5.0.5)?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

IMO it feels faster when it works but crashes more and uses A LOT RAM. I switched back to Chrome.

3. Fuchal macrumors 68020

Much faster than SL - the UI does not lock up when loading pages.

4. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

How much RAM is it using and how much does you're 'puter have?

5. stefan1975 macrumors 6502a

well mine is using 600-1200mb out of 4gb total when i just leave it idle at macrumors for a while.

gonna upgrade to 8gb this weekend but safari seems to have a memory leak or something.

6. farmersland macrumors newbie

On my system here, safari has about 10 Tabs open is running for a few hours now and uses just about 380mb. I think that is okay.
    Safari 5.1 on Lion is way faster than Safari on Snow Leopard. There is no doubt.

7. stefan1975 macrumors 6502a

what's also pretty odd is that when i am just swiping back a few pages using that new graphical sliding pages gesture, I can see the CPU of my i5 peak to well above 50% every time i go back or forth a page, never knew just going back a page was such a CPU intensive operation.

going back a page in chrome (although not animated) doesn't make a visible CPU spike in the system monitor at all. strange?!

8. farmersland macrumors newbie

Its because Safari is reloading the page after you swiped back. It is not the animation. Every page safari is loading uses about 30%-50% of your CPU. I tried it in Chrome and it uses about the same amount of the CPU.

9. Patrick J macrumors 65816

Patrick J

I'm loving Safari in Lion. Fast, smooth, no lockups. I have plenty of RAM so I don't care about that.

10. Chase R macrumors 65816

Chase R

Just downloaded Lion, and I can honestly say that Safari is much faster. Web pages load a lot quicker than they used to. No more beach balling either.

11. Damers macrumors regular

I have Safari 5.1 in SL... Should I be able to have this? I just got a software update for this and iTunes 10.4. I can say that Safari 5.1 in SL is heaps faster than 5.0.5. Pages seem to load faster but I think 5.1 is taking a page from chrome's setup and using separate tasks for fetching and web content. It seems to work.

FWIW, I do plan on upgrading from SL to Lion, just searching for some replacements for ppc apps.

12. TheGdog macrumors 6502

TheGdog

I find that lion is faster. Boot up is a little slower, but apps open very fast and safari doesn't crash every time you look at it wrong:D

13. DJRiful macrumors newbie

DJRiful

A lot faster also MORE responsible. In SL the Safari 5.1 would still freeze around.

The only think I still want is Middle Mouse Click close tab!!!!
    I hate pointing at the close button [x] box.... or to lift my second lazy hands and press Command+W.

14. SSVicious macrumors member

Lion makes my Safari lock up a lot more, sometimes for 20 seconds at a time. Usually when flash or a plugin is involved. Nevertheless, Snow Leopard never did that...