Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 19, 2013
My 6+ running 8.3 seems to be schizo with which sites it remembers the login details for.
I have the correct settings but with certain sites it refuses to ask whether I want to store the login details. Is this normal? One particular newspaper website asks me to login every time I visit it, and typing my email and password umpteen times per day is sooooooo frustrating.

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014
My 6+ running 8.3 seems to be schizo with which sites it remembers the login details for.
I have the correct settings but with certain sites it refuses to ask whether I want to store the login details. Is this normal? One particular newspaper website asks me to login every time I visit it, and typing my email and password umpteen times per day is sooooooo frustrating.
What you're seeing isn't an issue with Safari, rather it is an issue with the method a website uses to prompt for user credentials. Some websites code their prompts specifically so that tools like iCloud Keychain aren't able to store and remind users for this type of information - they see it as a form of "enhanced security". At least this was what I was told after complaining to a particular website.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 19, 2013
What you're seeing isn't an issue with Safari, rather it is an issue with the method a website uses to prompt for user credentials. Some websites code their prompts specifically so that tools like iCloud Keychain aren't able to store and remind users for this type of information - they see it as a form of "enhanced security". At least this was what I was told after complaining to a particular website.

I thought it might be to do with the website. It's a shame iOS can't override this and store the login details regardless.

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
That is also my understanding - websites can make saving passwords not allowed. This isn't only Safari and Keychain but also other browsers on other OS's.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.