Safari - piece of junk

Discussion in 'macOS' started by snowboarder, Jul 9, 2016.

1. snowboarder macrumors 6502

In last few months several important sites stopped working for me in Safari.
    A few bank websites including Citi and BofA, several sports site with video clips etc.
    Not sure what has changed, but Safari (never great really) became a completely worthless piece of cr@p.
    I had to switch to Chrome just to make an online bank payment (!).
    Is there anyting left this used-to-be-great company can do right? What a shame...

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I'm using Safari and have not noticed any change. Seems to work fine for me with my BofA account.

3. snowboarder thread starter macrumors 6502

When I go to the BofA site, first I can see the opening page with the list of my accounts,
    but when I click on one of those accounts, the following page is blank. Nothing.
    I noticed the change a few weeks ago. On Citi I'm unable to complete a payment after the latest
    redesign of the Citi website.
    Everything works fine in Chrome...
    --- Post Merged, Jul 9, 2016 ---
    One more super-annoying thing - when you click "clear history" - it clears all your passwords.
    Used to only clear history, not the saved passwords. Now you must "show history" and then click "delete all"
    in order to avoid clearing everything else. Another "amazing" improvement - thanks Apple!

4. xrc6 macrumors newbie

I agree it's junk but my problem with it is different. It stutters and gives me the spinning beach ball a lot. My problem is I hate Chrome because I don't agree with their privacy practice but no clue what browser would be good option for me. None seem to have the battery life Safari has though. Shame.

As far as BOFA site, I think it's actually on the banks side in terms of how they did their site. I think it requires Flashplayer to fully work properly, either that or it's needing something that Safari isn't supporting.

5. chrfr macrumors 603

Both Bank of America and Chase work fine for me in Safari, without Flash Player installed.

6. Gregg2 macrumors 603

What version?

7. snowboarder thread starter macrumors 6502

There are some updates rolling in for those banking websites, for example my account for Citi
    is updated and I can't make any payments in Safari anymore, my friend's account is still
    "older style" and it works. Not sure what they are changing, but clearly Safari is not keeping up...
    Really surprised more people are not complaining.

8. xrc6, Jul 10, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2016

xrc6 macrumors newbie

Then you must not use certain aspects of the site such as ShopSafe? It even says it requires flash. They have changed their site a while back and it definitely isn't fully featured for Safari that it once was.

I feel that way about Safari this past couple of months. I literally reformatted with El Capitan twice now, last being this morning and Safari is horrid. Delays when scrolling, browsing or most anything, beach ball's at times when i click something, loads sites up slow. Other browsers work smooth and fast by comparison.
    Seems anyone else with a 2013 MBP and El Capitan would have the same issue. I did finally spend some time with some new browsers and I liked Opera pretty well, even has smooth zoom like Safari so it'll do.

9. chrfr macrumors 603

You're correct, I don't use ShopSafe, so that'd obviously require me to use either Chrome or install Flash Player.