Safari plug-in/extension

Discussion in 'macOS' started by SweeneyD24, Mar 13, 2011.

1. SweeneyD24 macrumors regular

SweeneyD24

Word up..!!lol
    Hope you guys are doing great!

I'm thinking of removing all the plugins from my MBP so that no matter how many tabs i use in Safari 5.0.4 (6533.20.27) it won't lag or freeze or something.
    Also i'll install Youtube 5(only) on Safari and install Google Chrome as well cuz i know it has some basic built in plugins that'll do just fine for me!
    I'll use Safari as my default browser and use Google Chrome as a backup browser!

Can anyone tell what are the best basic plugins for Safari 5.0.4 (6533.20.27)!

Thnx

MBP 13" 2.26Ghz, 160 HDD, 2GB Ram, Mac Os X 10.6.6

2. simsaladimbamba

Upgrading your RAM to 4GB will help more. If you have the money you could even got to 8GB and maybe consider an SSD (OCZ Vertex 2 is quite good) and then you can also look into Optibay (MRoogle is your friend) to put the HDD into the ODD slot.

As to the plug-ins, I use Glims, Safari Stand and Flash. Then I also have a variety of extensions like ClickToFlash. But I have 4GB RAM and an SSD, therefore I don't experience any slow downs.

How many tabs have you usually open and how many applications have you also running besides Safari?

3. SweeneyD24 thread starter macrumors regular

SweeneyD24

I was thinking of upgrading my ram and HDD but i can't afford that for the time being. I was just hoping i could reduce some stuffs on my MBP that drains my ram on a daily basis.

Did you ever try youtube 5 btw!??

I usually use iTunes, Safari(gmail, youtube, forums, facebook, etc..) and Skype at the same time!!

4. simsaladimbamba

The RAM upgrade will see a bigger increase in performance than the HDD. Only an SSD will give you really faster access speeds.

If you meant the HTML5 beta from YouTube (www.youtube.com/html5) with "youtube 5", then yes, I have tried it.
    But I prefer the ClickToFlash extension, as it allows me to download videos from websites that have the H264 video accessible too.

iTunes can be quite resource hungry and Skype might be too.
    1GB of RAM is already in use by the OS, therefore you only have an additional 1GB RAM to run your applications, which might be a bit meager.
    You could upgrade to 3GB for now for 28 USD (http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/8566DDR3S2GB/) and then upgrade to 4GB later if you have more money.

The Safari Extensions and plug ins will not take that much RAM anyway, therefore removing them will not gain you any noticeable increase in free RAM. What exact plug ins and extensions do you have installed then?

5. SweeneyD24 thread starter macrumors regular

SweeneyD24

Right!
    I'm definitely uprgrading my ram and HDD, but not for now!!

Great!I'll try the ClickToFlash then!!I was not sure about the Youtube 5!!

Yeah right!But i'm not actually trying to gain in ram but make Safari more responsive!!
    I'm not sure whether they're installed or not!
    Plug-ins: AdobePDFViewer, DivXBrowserPlugin, Flash Player, Google Earth Web Plug-in, iPhotoPhotocast, JavaPlugin2_NPAPI, Unity Web Player, SpeedDownload Browser Plugin, QuickTime Plugin, Quartz Composer.
    Extensions: Div X HQ 2.1.0.900, DivX Plus Web Player HTML 5

I'm not sure whether to delete them or not, for fear Safari doesn't work!