Safari Plugin for MPG Files

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by uvacavs47, Aug 6, 2009.

1. uvacavs47 macrumors newbie

Hello, I am trying to watch MPG files through safari. Currently, the player shows up like this:

[​IMG]

As you can see, there is no full screen option, etc. How can I change how Safari handles these files? I've looked all over the internet, tried changing Quicktimes MIME settings, and can't find anything about plugins in Safari. I have VLC plugin installed for Safari, but it doesn't show up anytime I go to a mpg file.

2. quactaur macrumors newbie

If quicktime is set to open the file, have you installed Perian?

3. uvacavs47 thread starter macrumors newbie

I just want to be able to watch the video in full screen, what is Perian?

4. quactaur macrumors newbie

http://perian.org/

Its a codec pack that lets quicktime play all mpg files. Install that and try the file.

If that doesn't work, and all you want to do is playback in fullscreen, consider just downloading the mpg file (right click, save link as) and playing it from your machine.

Edit: bollocks I didn't read your first post properly. If you right click you might be able to, however I'm not sure safari lets you do this.

A pretty simple workaround is to just zoom into the screen. Hold down CTRL and spin your mouse's scrollwheel/use two fingers on your trackpad. Fiddle around with the zoom untill your video is centered.

5. uvacavs47 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm, I don't think that worked. I just want a different interface for the movie that is being played instead of the one that only allows pause, fast forward, and rewind.

6. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

You don't need Perian, however it will be useful in the future for playing video and audio that QuickTime Player can't play naively.

Just right click on the video link (or option-click it) to download the video then open in QuickTime Player.

7. uvacavs47 thread starter macrumors newbie

I was actually trying to avoid downloading it to my harddrive, just wanted to quickly view it in the browser.

8. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

open QuickTime Player, press command-O then paste in the video URL.