Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

B74A

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 31, 2008
Asia and Europe
I have had this problem for about a week - web pages with Google Adsense adds, when one certain ad appears on the page, it opens a new tab in Safari and takes me to it. Usually when I have read a line or two of news, suddenly there are women's sanitary advertisement instead of the text I was just reading. Some times 2 or 3 tabs pop up.

I don't click it, don't even need to mouse-over it - but only when that particular add is on the page.

I blocked the domain in the hosts file. The add still shows up on the page, and still opens a tab automatically, but now it just says page not found. Still very annoying!

I searched for this online but can't find it. I also told Google Adsense settings that I don't want to see ads for women's sanitary products.

It is most annoying - especially that I am just reading something and get interrupted several times a day usually.

Is this some kind of malware? Or a new type of aggressive ad? Or a loophole in Safari? Mac OS X and safari are both updated to newest versions.

ab298

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2017
I have had this problem for about a week - web pages with Google Adsense adds, when one certain ad appears on the page, it opens a new tab in Safari and takes me to it. Usually when I have read a line or two of news, suddenly there are women's sanitary advertisement instead of the text I was just reading. Some times 2 or 3 tabs pop up.

I don't click it, don't even need to mouse-over it - but only when that particular add is on the page.

I blocked the domain in the hosts file. The add still shows up on the page, and still opens a tab automatically, but now it just says page not found. Still very annoying!

I searched for this online but can't find it. I also told Google Adsense settings that I don't want to see ads for women's sanitary products.

It is most annoying - especially that I am just reading something and get interrupted several times a day usually.

Is this some kind of malware? Or a new type of aggressive ad? Or a loophole in Safari? Mac OS X and safari are both updated to newest versions.

I'd get this : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UBlock_Origin

from here : https://github.com/el1t/uBlock-Safari/blob/safari/dist/README.md

Ragunath S Masthi

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2018
bangalore
  1. Open Safari Preferences.
  2. Click the Tabs icon in the toolbar.
  3. Check “Command-click opens a link in a new tab”
  4. Uncheck “When a new tab or window opens, make it active”

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.