Safari popup, virus?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by felsteaddaniel, Jul 4, 2010.

1. felsteaddaniel macrumors newbie

felsteaddaniel

I was browsing my usual sites, i.e tumblr, twitter and arstechnica and I was greeted by a rather bizarre window popup, which I get the vibe, was not friendly, anywho, I reset all my safari files including those in the library.

It may be useful to know I am running Snow Leopard. It is all up to date.

However, I wouldn't mind some clairvoyance on what it might be, and if there is anything that I should look into removing. The link at question is below in code for obvious reasons. Please don't copy paste it unless you are certain you can examine it's nature.

Code:
    kyoukasama.webng.com/supernova.pdf
    Cheers in advance.

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

That's a PDF, not an actual page. Was the pop-up asking if you wanted to save the file? The PDF itself seems to be corrupted.

Additionally, there are no viruses for OSX currently and a trojan would have likely asked for your user name and password to do any real damage. So I highly doubt you're infected with anything.

3. felsteaddaniel thread starter macrumors newbie

felsteaddaniel

Yeah, I believe it's a security exploit within a PDF, however, not an actual PDF.

The popup simply repeated that link as Safari attempted to open the PDF within the browser, obviously, as Adobe, specifically PDF's and Flash can have large vulnerabilities I wanted to submit the link in question incase of any input or remedy incase of infection.

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

If it does have an exploit, it's likely targeted at Windows. My scan (using ClamXAV) of the file didn't come up with anything.

5. felsteaddaniel thread starter macrumors newbie

felsteaddaniel

Cheers angelwatt, that's much appreciated, I submitted the file to Intego for a double check. However I'll probably just relax now. I keep everything really secure so I was pretty surprised when it just popped up so alarm bells started ringing.