Safari problem: auto log-in doesn't work + other issues

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mgpg89, Oct 22, 2009.

1. mgpg89 macrumors 6502a

mgpg89

Since yesterday, when I open Facebook from my bookmark bar, Safari doesn't log me in automatically anymore.

My login & password are filled automatically though, but I have to click 'Sign in' manually.
    Also, after a few minutes, I get an error message that my session has expired and I need to login again.

Does anyone have an idea why this could happen?

(running the latest version of Safari on the latest version of Snow Leopard)

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Try deleting all of your Facebook cookies.

Safari -> Preferences -> Security -> Show Cookies -> type "facebook" -> Remove All.

Do you use Adium?

3. RemarkabLee macrumors 6502a

Sounds like a problem with the Facebook cookie(s).

Go to Safari preferences, security and find the cookies section. Open the box where you can view all the cookies and filter on 'facebook'. Delete any Facebook cookies you find. Go to facebook.com and log in. Close Safari and restart it. Go to Facebook.com again and hopefully Auto-login will work this time.

4. mgpg89 thread starter macrumors 6502a

mgpg89

I'll try the cookies solution...

Yes, I use Adium, but I never use it to chat on Facebook (if that's what you're getting at...)

I do have this menu bar app called Facebook Notifications though, which requires me to log-in to Facebook too.

5. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Yeah, that's where I was headed. I ask because older versions of Adium break Facebook login. It's getting better now, but I am still occasionally logged out because of Adium.

It could be that this app is having the same effect as Adium used to. Personally, I just have a Mail filter set up to discard all Facebook emails and play a sound when I get a new notification.

6. mgpg89 thread starter macrumors 6502a

mgpg89

The cookies solution didn't help, so it's probably this menu bar app.
    I'll report back after shutting the app down and trying a few times.

Would be a shame if that's the problem, because it's a really GREAT app, tbh.

7. mgpg89 thread starter macrumors 6502a

mgpg89

I shut down the app, rebooted my Mac and tried again, still the same result ... no auto-login.

Not because of the app after all?