Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Safari....Problem, new page/new tab.

Dave in Wales

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 15, 2015
Wales
I like Safari, but cannot find a way to open a page in a new tab without sending the page I'm in to oblivion.

I know cmdT opens a new tab, but forget to do so and often lose a lot of work.

I've searched Google but every solution offered NEVER works I still loose the page I'm on.

Any definite solutions please.

JBat

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2007
Washington
^^^Bingo. You can also right click on the link and select 'Open Link in New Tab,' or 'Open Link in New Window,' to have it open in a separate Safari page.

Dave in Wales

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 15, 2015
Wales
^^^Bingo. You can also right click on the link and select 'Open Link in New Tab,' or 'Open Link in New Window,' to have it open in a separate Safari page.

On my PC, I use AOL, when I click any link it opens in a new page automatically, I don't have to click anything else.

I assume there is no way of doing this on my MPB then?

JBat

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2007
Washington
On my PC, I use AOL, when I click any link it opens in a new page automatically, I don't have to click anything else.

I assume there is no way of doing this on my MPB then?
I don't have my Mac with me at work, but I believe you can set that in Safari preferences. If not, try holding down the Shift key when clicking the link. That works in several different browsers, including, I think, in Safari. Try it and let us know if it works. Once you get used to it, it becomes automatic, like most keyboard shortcuts do.

Dave in Wales

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 15, 2015
Wales
I don't have my Mac with me at work, but I believe you can set that in Safari preferences. If not, try holding down the Shift key when clicking the link. That should open the page in a new window. Holding down the Command key should open the link in a new tab. Try it and let us know if it works.

Both methods work as stated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.