Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pigstick21

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 6, 2023
Hi,
I have a M2 Mac Mini and an M2 MacBook Air. Both are using Sonoma 14.0 and Safari 17.0. As far as I can tell the settings are identical. However, on a number of websites on the Mac Mini I only get a partial load - the sites work perfectly on MacBook Air. So to give a specific example on a news site, The Times (UK), each article should show Comments at the bottom of the page. On the MacBook Air, perfect. On the Mac Mini nothing is shown, no error, just as if that section does not exist - the page looks complete unless you know about the comment section. I loaded up Edge on the Mac Mini and the web pages load correctly so it seems specific to either a System Setting or Safari setting on the Mini?
Any ideas?

Reactions: kjvmartin

kjvmartin

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2016
Detroit
I came to post a very similar issue!

One example of so many I've been having:

Safari on latest Sonoma, load up an Amazon page and the reviews won't load. No other background apps at all.

Switch over into Edge/Chrome/Firefox, the page loads instantly and completely. I have gone as far as factory resetting my MacBook Pro (M1 14"), but the problem persists. I thought it was a possible private relay bug, but I disabled that feature. Now considering Firefox as my default. Apple have somehow screwed up Safari. I live with others who use the web on various devices, my M1 Mac is the most expensive device but is loading basic webpages dead last, even compared to a Chromebook. I have to wonder if something is up with the WiFi driver.

Reactions: Pigstick21

Pigstick21

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 6, 2023
Hi, thanks for the reply. I may have found something of a strange fix. I turned on the Develop tab and after some random clicking (!) went to the User Agent field and changed it from Default (Automatically Chosen) to Safari 17.0. This now seems to be working perfectly. I've attached a screenshot of the change. I have no idea why this would make such a substantial change to a page loading. Hope it helps.

Attachments

• Develop.jpg
    Develop.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 61
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.