Safari problem (PithHelmet Error Message)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Mac., Jun 18, 2009.

1. Mac. macrumors 6502

Hi, I've had PithHelmet installed on the older version of Safari, but since I've updated to 4.0 it no longer works. So I've tried to uninstall PithHelmet from my Mac by deleting the "PithHelmet" folder located in /Library/Application Supports/, but nothing seems to happen - I still get this pop-up message whenever I launch Safari. I have tried re-installing Safari but I get the same problems!

Help would be appreciated, thanks.

[​IMG]

2. bluespaceoddity macrumors regular

2.2 Uninstalling PithHelmet

Removing (trashing) the PithHelmet.bundle from /Library/Application Support/SIMBL/Plugins folder will effectively remove PithHelmet from Safari.

2.3 Installed Files and Folders

/Library/InputManagers/SIMBL - (more info)
    /Library/Application Support/SIMBL/Plugins/PithHelmet.bundle - this is the actual code section of PithHelmet - this is what gets upgraded
    /Library/Frameworks/DuctTape.framework - a framework I wrote for my plug-ins and applications
    ~/Library/Application Support/PithHelmet/PithHelmet.log - logs all blocked urls if logging is enabled
    ~/Library/Application Support/PithHelmet/com.apple.Safari/PHRuleSet.ka - stores all the rules

Pithhelmet site

Removing the item mentioned under 2.2 will make the warning go away.
    Removing all items mentioned under 2.3 will remove PithHelmet completely from your system.

Many people advise against it but after performing the steps below you can continue using PithHelmet and Safari 4 together.

Log in to your computer as Admin - Install latest version of PithHelmet and:
    1. Quit Safari.
    2. Navigate to /Library/Application Support/SIMBL/Plugins/PithHelmet.bundle.
    3. Control click to show package contents.
    4. Open bundle and go to Contents.
    5. Double click info.plist, or drag and drop it onto TextEdit
    6. Change MaxBundleVersion to (greater than whatever is the current Safari build for your version of the new Safari). It will then look like this:

<key>MaxBundleVersion</key>
    <string>5555</string>

7. Save and relaunch Safari.

3. Mac. thread starter macrumors 6502

4. ActionAmerica macrumors newbie

ActionAmerica

Don't Uninstall it!... Fix It!

Don't uninstall it!!! Just fix it. :)

The problem is that SIMBL checks the version that each SIMBL-based application is set to use and if the current Safari version is higher than that, you get the SIMBL error that you saw.

To start with, you need the Build number for the current version of Safari. As I write this, the latest build is "Version 4.0.2 (5530.19)" In this case "5530" is the build number. That should be good enough for now.

1. Quit Safari.
    2. Use the Finder to go to "/Library/Application Support/SIMBL/Plugins/".
    3. Right click on "PithHelmet.bundle" and select "Show Package Contents".
    4. Open the "Contents" folder in the window that opens.
    5. Right click on "Info.plist" and select "Open With | Property List Editor".
    7. Down near the bottom, you will see an entry titled, "SIMBLTargetApplications". Expand that selection by clicking on the triangle to the left of the title.
    8. Under that, do the same thing where you see "Item 1".
    9. Under Item 1, notice the line titled, "MaxBundleVersion". The second field on that line is the maximum Safari bundle version for which SIMBL will allow PithHelmet to run. If you have PithHelmet 2.8.4, that number will be "5525"
    10. Change this number to something higher than the current Safari Build Number (5530 if you're using Safari 4.0.2 - I used 5535, so I won't have to go back and do this again any time soon.)
    11. Close and save the file.
    12. Open Safari... Voila'!...PithHelmet now works. :D

I have found no problems with PithHelmet, using this method.

However, I don't know how many more releases for which this will work. But, it works now.

A day without PithHelmet is more than any sane person should have to endure. Desperate times call for desperate measures. ;)

BTW, if you have already uninstalled PithHelmet, you can re-install it, but don't try to start Safari 4, till you have made the above changes.

5. Mac. thread starter macrumors 6502

6. Tamiris macrumors newbie

I'm getting the same error message, but I don't have PithHelmet or any of the related files installed. I don't have the folders specified to remove this (non-existent) plug-in. So if it's not there, why does Safari 4 think it is? And how do I convince it that it's seeing a ghost and remove that error message?

Thanks!

7. ActionAmerica macrumors newbie

ActionAmerica

Ghost Plugin

Does the error message specifically name PithHelmet, as the cause (as it does in the SIMBL error message above)? If so, the easy thing to do would be to download PithHelmet and install it. Then, if you don't want to keep it, follow the instructions to uninstall it. That should remove any offending files. If you do want to keep it, follow the instructions that I posted earlier, for updating the plist file.

If PithHelmet is not the named offender, then I would try the same thing with whatever the named application happens to be.

8. Tamiris macrumors newbie

Yup, it's specifying PithHelmet as the culprit, although I don't remember ever installing it, and it certainly isn't anywhere on my system now. Good idea to install and remove it -- I'll give that a try. Thanks!