Safari Problem - Please Help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sarb, May 22, 2008.

1. sarb macrumors newbie

hello
    I am new to this website and this is my first post.
    First of all, I would like to say Hello to everyone.

Now, I am actually have some problems with Safari and Leopard. The problem that I am having with safari is that it won't let me customize the tool bar. When I click customize tool bar then everything stops working. I tried re-installing safari but it didn't help. Also, the safari doesn't have an address bar at this moment so basically, I can't even use it. I forgot to mention that I tired to install BoPeepers and Piclens and after that safari started to give me problems.
    The second problem is with leopard, it kind a freezes after 5-10 minutes and it is really slow at times.
    I would really like to fix this problem with out re-installing windows.

I would also really if you guys can help me.

Thanks.

2. elmz macrumors regular

Were you successful in installing those? If so, try un-installing them and see how that works out.

3. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

Yeah, windows tends to do that...

4. sarb thread starter macrumors newbie

Yea i think so but i don't know how to un-install them. When I open Safari it doesn't even show any option for Pic Lens or BoPeepers. Is there any way I can completely un-install safari with all the add ons and do a fresh install after?

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You have no idea what the OP is talking about :rolleyes:

6. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

ha it was just a joke. OP, what kind of machine are you running?

7. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

The OP says "Safari and Leopard" so I'm a bit confused too!

8. sarb thread starter macrumors newbie

It's Mabook Pro.

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You mean OS or hardware? I'm pretty sure the OP is having problems in OS X.

10. sarb thread starter macrumors newbie

yes i am having problems with OS X

11. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

As far as Safari goes, try deleting the safari app, then delete "Home/Library/Preferences/com.apple.safari.plist" After that's done, reinstall Safari. As far as the other problem is concerned, I have no idea. It doesn't sound like you're going to get out of it without an OS reinstall tho. Good luck, let us know if you have any success with safari.

12. elmz macrumors regular

It depends on how it was installed. If it instructed you to drag and drop it into the Application folder, then delete it there and empty the trash. If it was an installer, run the installer again and hopefully there is an option to uninstall, or there maybe an uninstaller file that came with the package.

13. sarb thread starter macrumors newbie

I re-installed safari, now i have the address bar but same problem again when i click customize toolbar nothing happens and everything stops working.

14. haiggy macrumors 65816

Piclens doesn't support Safari 3 so maybe that could be an issue?

15. sarb thread starter macrumors newbie

Yea may be, I don't know how to uninstall it. According to the Piclens website "You can uninstall via the “Remove PicLens” menu under the View menu in Safari". But there's no remove PicLens option under view menu.

16. DJAKO macrumors 6502a

I'm looking to uninstall piclens too. But on the new version of safari you can't because it doesn't work.

Does anyone no where the files are located?

17. xJulianx macrumors 6502a

xJulianx

Try a Spotlight search? Or perhaps AppZapper.

18. DJAKO macrumors 6502a

Spotlight doesn't find it and AppZapper wouldn't work because it's not located in the App Folder

19. CleverUsername macrumors member

The only thing I have to suggest is searching using only some of the letters instead of the whole name...I know sometimes things save themselves with abbreviated titles, so maybe try only the first half, or without vowels? You'll probably get lot of extra results you don't want, but you can sort through them.

When I first upgraded to Tiger, I had some troubles with things not letting me access the toolbars adjustments, but in my case it was due to an older system and easily fixed by extra RAM, which really shouldn't be the case here. Have to checked the system preferences to make sure everything looks fine?

20. wookitus macrumors newbie

How to remove piclens

This is the information I received from PicLens support:

To remove PicLens from your computer, select the Remove PicLens option from the View > PicLens menu in Safari, or delete the PicLens folder from the /Library/InputManagers folder of your hard disk.