Safari problem

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by JustaGam3, Aug 14, 2011.

1. JustaGam3 macrumors newbie

First off, I would like to apologize if this thread is already on here or if I am posting in a spot where it shouldn't be.

This didn't happen to me, cuz I'm not dumb enough to hit ok on popup screens, but I also cant figure out how to fix it for this girl I know.

This girl I know wanted to download Skyp so she put it in the address bar and typed it wrong and the site she ended up going to was one of those fake site with a popup that said congrats you won. She clicked ok. Now everytime she gets on Safari she can only go to that screen no matter what. She has forced quit, restarted, and shutdown the computer to try different things. All the options on safari are lighted out so they cant be clicked. I thought she could just clear the cache or change the homepage and that might fix it, but she cant get into the preferences. This is her only browser for her Mac. I'm wondering if anyone else has any suggestions of what to do, or should she jus go to the apple store and ask them. Thanks ahead of time for any help or suggestions someone might have.

2. res1233 macrumors 65816

res1233

First of all, make sure she realizes her mistake so she can endeavor to not do it again. Education is always the first step! The second step is a bit less clear... I've neither heard of nor seen such a problem in my life. Did you see it yourself or is this just how she reported it?

3. JustaGam3 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ive seen the popup she got, cuz she sent me a pic from her phone of what to do, and I guess i didnt respond fast enough so she jus hit ok. I did not see the problem first hand or it might have been easier for me to explain, but I did talk to her on the phone and she said she couldn't click anything and it just kept going to that one screen no matter if she turned the computer off or force quit Safari. Nothing I suggested would either work or she couldn't access it. It's weird to me to, cuz Ive been a mac user, never use safari though, for about 6 years now, and I have never encountered such a problem that wasnt easily fixed.

4. res1233 macrumors 65816

res1233

Is her Mac OS up to date? It's possible she infected herself with one of the pieces of malware going around... Snow Leopard currently has protection against it, but it doesn't do her any good if she doesn't keep up to date.

5. JustaGam3 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yea she jus bought it about a month ago, but she jus took it to the Apple store and they told her someone from PC was trying to hack into it or something like that