Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

colinet

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 5, 2003
Australia
Thius may be an Australian problem but if so, it's affecting at least three of the biggest ISPs.

Since upgrading (my G5) to Panther I frequently get a message on Safari that it can't find a site (including this one). If I try again it usually finds it fine (sometimes it take three or four attempts) This NEVER happened in 10.2.8 or earlier even from the earliest Beta versions of Safari.

Chuck

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2003
Oh, I am so glad to hear someone else say it!!!!

What a nightmare I've been having with Panther. Websites rarely load first time, and it seems to be getting even worse.

Tonight I've had incredible trouble getting websites to load or doing software update etc. Only one time in about every 15 attempts is actually working!

And when they do work, they seem to download much slower as well!

They have GOT to release a fix for this soon or I'll go insane!

:( :( :(

Chuck.

Edit: Yes, I'm an Aussie too. (Sydney)

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
It's possible there's a problem with Panther's networking code that's affecting Aussie ISPs, but I'd be a bit skeptical of that unless those ISPs give you some sort of special connection software and it isn't 10.3 compatible.

A few standard troubleshooting things, in case you haven't tried them yet:

If you create a new user, does the same thing happen? If not, then it's a preference problem with your user.

If you have a spare hard drive, try installing a fresh (non-upgrade) version of Panther, and see if it happens there. If a clean install has the problem, then it's probably a Panther issue (though it's possible you might be able to resolve it via preference tweaking until Apple issues a fix).

Chuck

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2003
I called Applecare to see if it was a known issue and the guy hadn't heard of it before. Then after getting me to check a few things, he said that it was a problem with Telstra's (Australia's biggest ISP) DNS something or other (I'm not all that savvy with it).

Then I told him it only occurred after istalling Panther and he said that it must have just been a coincidence. Hmmm... I don't think it's been a coincidence.

Chuck.

PS I did a clean install on one of my home machines and it still had the problem.

rauf

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2003
Kiwiland now - it's the best.
I have the same problem in the UK ever since my panther installation - so not just an Aussie problem. I presume it'll get sorted in 10.3.1????

Now that it's been mentioned by others, I know it's not just my isp being a bit poor, I'll send a bug report to apple, I guess if enough of us do that, they're more likely to do sometihng about it sooner.

:(

towalu

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2003
Same problem in Luxembourg. (Had it before under Jaguar with the first version of Safari). Reported it to Apple.

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
I've had a similar problem with Panther, but *only* with ethernet. If I switch over to wireless (802.11b), the problem disappears. I think I had a similar problem with one of the Jag updates, but I was using wireless a lot then, so it may have been my ISP that day. Anyway, if you can, try using a wireless connection rather than ethernet. I'd be interested to know if you have the problem just with ethernet, just with wireless or both.

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
I meant to add, the problem is most apparent with Safari, but it also affects Mail, software update, etc. Quitting Safari doesn't seem to fix the problem, for me.

pncc

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2002
This really sounds like some kind of DNS issue. call your ISP and ask them about what the DNS settings should be. Panther has been working great for me. This would be a huge problem for everyone if it were Panther.

Chuck

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2003
Originally posted by daveL
I've had a similar problem with Panther, but *only* with ethernet. If I switch over to wireless (802.11b), the problem disappears. I think I had a similar problem with one of the Jag updates, but I was using wireless a lot then, so it may have been my ISP that day. Anyway, if you can, try using a wireless connection rather than ethernet. I'd be interested to know if you have the problem just with ethernet, just with wireless or both.

I get the problem with my Airport Extreme network.

Chuck.

electric

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2002
San Francisco, CA
I had this problem awhile back but had forgoten about it till I read this thread. I am running Jag, seemed like it happened when Safari went GM and went away when I upgraded to 10.2.8. Now it never happens... tap on plastic

JohnGillilan

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2003
Los Angeles
Often times I will have these problems when I wake the computer up from sleep or a screensaver. I have to restart and/or quit safari/mail/etc. to get it to work. Its very annoying.

iEric

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2003
Wow so many problems with this upgrade OS...Thank god I dont have any at the moment...>Knock on wood<

j33pd0g

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2003
Central NY
Warning this link will make Safari not respond:

It loads in netscape, and IE, and actually loads in Safari... all the content is there... just that Safari gets the rainbow beachball , and becomes unresponsive. Is it just me, or is there something funky going on?

Here's the url: www.news10.com (Safari may crash!)

colinet

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 5, 2003
Australia
Big apologies to Apple and Safari.

I finally tracked all my problems down to a bloody fax diverter box in my phone line which seems to have gone senile. Removed it and now I get online at 48 to 50K instead of 33 and no more web problems.

But I should say that Apple help line in Australia were totally useless and unhelpful. The guy spent all the time I was on the phoner being really defensive and trying to blame my ISP and anyone else he could think of while offering no useful suggestions at all. At the same time he tried to ge me to buy an extended warranty deal, which considering his attitude would be totally pointless.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.