Safari problem

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by LSUtigers03, Jul 12, 2008.

1. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

A friend of mine is having problems with his touch. Safari won't display any pages because it says that it can't find the server. His computer has no problems connecting to the same network. He's connected to different networks with no problem but for some reason only the touch won't display pages on his home network but everything else he connects will. Are there any common causes for this? Are there any fixes?

2. kgregc macrumors newbie

Does his mail work on his home network? Does he have his router set to only allow his other computers (MAC address) and block anything else. I had this problem with my Touch and Netgear router. Found the switch, and the Touch locked right in.

3. LSUtigers03 thread starter macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

His mail isn't working either. He has a westell versalink 327w it's different than my router so I'm not sure how to change it to allow the ipod touch to connect. Is there a site that will give instructions on how to do that on different routers?

4. eagecl macrumors newbie

I am having a similar if not identical problem. I upgraded using the link to 2.0 software. Everything worked great except it seemed I couldn't connect to the internet through wifi. Turns out I can connect, but the touch is painfully slow and it's hit or miss whether or not the page will download or wether I get a "server not responding" error. I've done everything I can find short of rolling back to 1.1.4 firmware (mainly because I don't know how). Here's some of the details:

1. All other computers/devices connect fine
    2. I can see and connect to the wireless network, but transfering data is PAINFULLY slow.
    3. I have upgraded to the most recent router firmware.
    4. I got no errors during the update process.
    5. I have restored several times, one of which downloaded the official apple 2.0 software and installed that. I have the same problem.
    6. I have gone into the general settings and reset the network and "all".
    7. I have performed a hard reset of the ipod touch.
    8. Other internet apps besides safari have the same issue. ie. facebook/myspace apps.
    9. the battery seems to drain much quicker as I mess around with this stuff... I'm assuming that has to do with the workout the wireless antenna is getting.

Anybody got any ideas?

5. kgregc macrumors newbie

LSU, what security scheme is he using? WEP? WPA? If he is using WEP, ask him to change to WPA and try that? Is it just the wireless portion of his network that has problems...wired works fine? (I also had the Westel 327W before...supposedly not your best modem/router, but I didn't have a lot of problems with mine. I'm now on Comcast and using the Netgear.)