Safari Problems

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by abitc, May 10, 2008.

1. abitc macrumors newbie

Hi, I was wondering if someone could help me, I'm not the best with computers! A few weeks ago I started experiencing some problems with my safari as it kept closing on random pages on facebook and on amazon. Then suddenly a few days ago it decided that it would simply close entirely as soon as I logged onto facebook or entered amazon, and now it is doing this with more and more websites. So after a bit of a search on the net I was told to delete all of the safari directories, caches etc, so there was nothing left on my computer of safari, and then to reinstall. Problem is it won't let me reinstall safari off the apple site, it keeps saying the system can't download it. So I already had firefox installed, and the same problem happens on that too. So after installing a few security checkers I'm still not sure what to do to fix the problem, and whether I should get safari back and how..and suggestions? would be very very grateful!

2. zaney macrumors regular

I hope you have a back up, because you're really not supposed to uninstall Safari. It's kinda like IE on windows. You can't download it separately.
    You can try using pacifist to reinstall it from your original disks though, if you don't have a back up. But for future reference you can clear most Safari problems by starting safari and clicking Safari->Reset Safari.
    If that doesnt work, delete the com.apple.safari.plist file from ~/Library/Preferences
    But you shouldn't remove it entirely.

3. KompleX macrumors regular

safari is nothing like ie on windows. in windows you really couldn't uninstall ie because it was integrated into the operating system. safari on the other hand is an independent application and can be uninstalled. you can then obtain it thru software update.

though i wouldn't try any of this on my macbook :)

4. zaney macrumors regular

I didn't mean about it being integrated, I meant you're not supposed to remove it.
    Apple supply the Safari 3.1 updater for leopard and tiger here. But whether an update will work on an application that has been removed, I don't know.

5. Kalafut macrumors regular

Kalafut

you can always try camino, its a super fast web browser.

6. mreg376 macrumors 6502a

You're "not supposed to remove Safari"? That's one of the more ridiculous things I've read on this forum. Of course you can remove it. Just drag it to the trash. And you can always reinstall it by downloading it from Apple: http://www.apple.com/safari/download/

7. zaney macrumors regular

*sighs*
    I apologise for my error. When I said you're not supposed to remove it, it was based on the fact that I wasn't aware they supplied a separate download for it, I don't recall them providing one before Safari 3.

8. abitc thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the help, but just tried to download camino and that too cut out on facebook and the other pages that cut off on safari and firefox. I tried also to download safari from the Mac site and it just would not download, when I tried to confirm the download it said that safari did not fit with my system. I was also just asked to upgrade my itunes, which I did, however now my Mac is telling me that in order to run itunes I have to upgrade to a Mac OS X 10.9.4 what a cheek! Which is a lot of money on the apple site. Do I just buy that and hope that it upgrades all my software solving the internet closing problem anyway?

9. thomasp macrumors 6502a

What version of OS X are you running? Safari 3.1 will only work with OSX 10.4.10 (free upgrade via software update if you're running an earlier version of 10.4) or with 10.5.2 (I think it's that version...). If you're running an older version of OS X like 10.2 or 10.3, then you might well run into problems trying to find an older version of Safari.

And there is no OS X version called "10.9.4" - yet! It probably mean 10.4.9 which you can upgrade to from an earlier version of 10.4 by choosing "Software Update" from the Apple menu.

10. abitc thread starter macrumors newbie

see told you i was bad with computers! Well I just tried to download the Mac OS X 10.4.10 Update, and was not allowed, a message popped up saying Mac OS Update (Power PC) cannot be installed on this computer.
    I am very confused..

11. MattyK macrumors 6502a

MattyK

mate i had the same problem on my old hackintosh
    (using blackbook now) and it crashed on myspace and facebook and other websites.
    i used firefox, it worked, and after a couple of days i used safari again and it worked fine. so i advise firefox, or just waiting it out.

12. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

I'm also confused. First off what machine do you have and what OS version are you running?

Go to about this mac by clicking on the blue Apple icon and selecting about this mac. Tell us what it says or better yet take a screenshot of it (Cmd+Shift+4 then press the spacebar and select the about this mac pane) and attach the image to your reply?

...or simply tell us what you see