iPad safari push notifications on ipad, iphones

Discussion in 'iPad' started by rick88, Nov 17, 2013.

1. rick88 macrumors newbie

apologies for ignorance and lack of sophistication here. but do the safari push notifications (apn) apply to and work on all devices including ipad and iphone? i.e., if a site doesn't have an app, or if a person (a site user or subscriber) doesn't want to use an app, can the site send push notifications to that person that the person can receive on his ipad or iphone? apologies, again, for what's probably obvious -- but any clarification greatly appreciated.

2. bkribbs macrumors 65816

If you mean like how this site will send notifications to macs, no it won't I don't think, although it seems like a logical future feature.

If you mean a website has an app, and you just want to use the website not the app, no, you cannot get notifications and, for the most part I would think you won't every see this.

3. rick88 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the reply, bkribbs. so, if the website doesn't have an app, a user or subscriber of the site can't or won't be able to get push notifications from the site on his ipad? i.e., in order for that site to provide push notifications (or equivalents) on an ipad, it would have to create and offer a native app for that purpose? thanks, again, for the feedback...any additional thoughts appreciated.

4. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Well, I doubt anybody would make an app JUST to send notifications of published articles, but basically, in order to push a notification to am iOS device, you'd need an app. For now, many news sites do this indirectly, by, for instance, posting updates to Facebook or Twitter. Readers follow the relevant Twitter or Facebook accounts, and update notifications get pushed through the Twitter / Facebook apps. Another way to follow news websites is to use RSS readers, but I don't think that sends push notifications -- you open your RSS reader app when you want to read news, and you get a list of the latest posts from your subscribed RSS feeds.