Safari puts ".ppt.pot" and ".doc.dot" extensions after downloading those files. Why?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by johnbro23, Feb 16, 2008.

1. johnbro23 macrumors 6502a

When I download a Word or Powerpoint file, Safari adds a second extension to the files - .dot and .pot. What does this mean? Word and PPT 2008 recognize the format and it opens fine on my computer, but if I send this back to someone with that extra extension, I can imagine I'd run into problems.

2. cardsdoc macrumors regular

I'm having the same problem. I can't figure this one out.

3. Pees330 macrumors 6502

I know this problem bugs me too. It's not a problem with opening the files, but what bothers me is that I can see the files with quicklook unless I take the extra extension off. This happens to me a handful of times a day and it's starting to bug me now.

4. Pees330 macrumors 6502

The workflow that the one person put up for download works great. I set it up as an apple script in the script menu, so it's a quick way to fix this problem. I'm sure that this will officially be fixed in an upcoming update.

5. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

Because Steve was once a hippie. Hence the .pot extension.

6. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

I'm sure 1/6 of Apple's headquarters is a grow farm - anything to help boost profits eh :p

7. heartoflaughter macrumors newbie

powerpoint wont open on my mac, but changed file and it did, but...

I once changed the file extension on a ppt presentation sent to me, and it finally opened. I read about it on here, but cant find the original forum thread and cant remember the extension: pxt or ptx or something similar..Help!

8. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I never encountered this problem. Usually, the source I downloaded did something strange. Safari never added this by itself.