Safari question: can't find "auto-click" in bookmarks

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by nhcowboy1, Feb 20, 2008.

1. nhcowboy1 macrumors 6502

I'm using two different Macs, both running OS X 10.4.11. On one of them, when I open the bookmarks page in Safari ("view all bookmarks"), I have three columns - bookmark, auto-click, and address. On the other, the "auto-click" column is missing. Both are running the same version of Safari: 3.0.4, and all the preference settings seem to be the same. The auto-click feature is rather handy . . does anyone have a clue what I need to do to enable it on my second Mac?

2. SkyOtter macrumors newbie

Re Safari question: can't find "auto-click" in bookmarks

I'm running OS 10.5.2. Until today, I had only 2 columns in Safari's bookmarks. The third column, "Auto-Click," appeared as an unintentional result of the following.

I wanted to sort the bookmarks alphabetically, and found several forum posts that gave this advice: To sort alphabetically, create a new folder on the desktop (you can leave it named "untitled"), so that you can see this folder AND the bookmarks window at the same time. Make the folder display in List View with the sort arrow pointing up (this will sort with A's at top, Z's at bottom). Then, in Safari, select all folders and/or bookmarks in the Bookmarks Menu and drag them into the folder on your desktop. In list view, they should sort alphabetically, as you've so designated. Close the untitled folder and drag it into the Bookmarks Menu window in Safari. Delete all the bookmarks and folders that ARE NOT in the untitled folder. Then, open the folder by turning down it's arrow. Select all and drag them above or below the folder -- placing them outside the folder. They're now in alpha order. Delete the untitled folder. (If you wish to also alpha-sort the Bookmarks Bar, repeat the foregoing.)
    NOTE: This method works only for sorting by list name. It doesn't work for other list categories such as "Date Modified," "Kind," etc.

AFTER DOING THE ABOVE ALPHA-SORT, I saw that I now have a third column entitled "Auto-Click."

No doubt, there's a less circuitous route to enabling "Auto-Click to display . . . but I don't know what it is. This should work for you.
    Regards,
    SkyOtter

3. millap macrumors regular

1. Create a collection of bookmarks
    2. Add the collection to your Bookmarks Bar.
    3. Right click on the item that appears on the Bookmarks Bar.
    4. Select 'Show in Collections'

The auto click column should then appear.