Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mackinjosh

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 21, 2014
I haven't had an iPhone in many years, just an iPad. What's annoying me is that any time I touch the screen, the bottom bar pops up in safari. It doesn't do that on my iPad because those controls are on the top bar obviously. Is there a way to make it stop doing that on my iPhone?

Phil77354

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2014
Pacific Northwest, U.S.
OK, so you're running the same iOS version that I have on my iPhone Xs Max. But I'm not sure what you mean - the Apps at the bottom of the screen are user selectable and you can have whichever ones you want, and the only reason Safari should open up when you wake the phone would be if you were using Safari when you put the phone down last.

I'm not sure I understand exactly what is happening with your phone but if you can describe in a bit more detail perhaps I can help.
[doublepost=1540597305][/doublepost]Wait, I think I see what you mean. In safari, when you scroll a page down, the bottom of the screen shows the bar where you can open your history or bookmarks, or switch between safari windows. I'm sure that's what you're talking about.

That is just normal behavior for safari on the iPhone. The bottom bar disappears when you're scrolling through pages so it doesn't interfere with the viewing area, but if you scroll the other way then it appears.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I haven't had an iPhone in many years, just an iPad. What's annoying me is that any time I touch the screen, the bottom bar pops up in safari. It doesn't do that on my iPad because those controls are on the top bar obviously. Is there a way to make it stop doing that on my iPhone?
The only times it pops up for me are when I scroll up quickly or if I specifically tap at the bottom of the screen where the bar would typically be. Is it different for you beyond those cases?

Mackinjosh

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 21, 2014
For me it happens every single time I tap somewhere on the screen. And instead of performing the action I wanted, it brings up that bar and I'm forced to repeat the action.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
For me it happens every single time I tap somewhere on the screen. And instead of performing the action I wanted, it brings up that bar and I'm forced to repeat the action.
That is rather strange. This happens on any/every site? Have you tried clearing all Safari data and restarting the phone to see if helps? Perhaps checking on some settings like JavaScript to make sure that's enabled? Or maybe changing some Safari options (there are even some experimental ones that can be disabled or enabled)?

Never mind

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2018
Dunedin, Florida
B3CCC62C-70A4-4A5F-B3D9-0467EFF97369.jpeg

You mean this

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.