Safari question?

adrake86

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 2, 2007
Georgia
I have been using safari to browse the web and I am having a problem when I am surfing the web it and click on various links it open a brand new browser window. I just want it to open in the same window but in a new tab.

And under preferences I have it checked 'Open new link in a new tab in the current window. But that says links from applications how do I get it to do that from links within websites.

Thanks.

cleanup

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2005
Toronto
I have been using safari to browse the web and I am having a problem when I am surfing the web it and click on various links it open a brand new browser window. I just want it to open in the same window but in a new tab.

And under preferences I have it checked 'Open new link in a new tab in the current window. But that says links from applications how do I get it to do that from links within websites.

Thanks.
If a link opens in a new window, it does this because that is the way the link was programmed. To open it in a new tab instead, command-click on the link. If you use a USB mouse, I believe the default is usually middle-click (your scrollwheel) will perform a command-click. The link will then open in a tab behind your current one.

AdeFowler

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2004
England
Can you give an example?

It could be how the link has been set. For example clicking on your blog address above opens a new window, whist clicking a forum link at the top of the page opens in the same window.