safari question

Discussion in 'macOS' started by bosstucker, Feb 20, 2008.

1. bosstucker macrumors newbie

On the macs at school(running tiger), i only have to type the main part of the web address, i.e. macrumors and when i pushed enter, it would add the http://www. and the .com on both ends and go to the website, even if I had never been there before. In safari on my air, it doesn't do that it goes to a verizon search engine looking for the site instead, "Were you looking for macrumors.com?" does anyone know how to turn that auto fill feature on?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

A Verizon search engine? That's because of your provider. It's the most frigtarded thing ever; we have Embarq DSL, and it does the same thing. I ENJOYED not having to type the .com on my addresses... There's an "Opt out of this service" thing on the page when it pops up, but it just does it again anyway. I'm going to call them and complain. Seriously, you should, too.

3. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

I have the same problem with Charter Cable. I have yet to try it, but I think that maybe the IE shortcut of ctrl+enter will apend the .com, but not sure.

TEG

4. JSchwage macrumors 6502a

JSchwage

I'm guessing this is something that the school's ISP is doing. I don't think it's a software feature in Safari.

5. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

No, it's a feature in Safari being repressed by the ISP. My Safari was able to do that for a while... and then the Embarq thing took over.

6. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

What is happening is this...

Safari sends your request for the website (without the .com or anything) in case you are on an intranet.

Your ISP recieves this request, and instead of sending back a message of "No Site Found" so Safari can append the www. and the .com and try again, it throws this word into a search program and returns a redirect command to Safari which then navigates to the seach page.

Call and complain to the ISP for being such dips.

TEG