Safari question??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by powpow, Sep 24, 2008.

1. powpow macrumors member

Will someone please explain why after loading a page in Safari, then say checking my email, when I go back to Safari (with no wifi/edge/3G) the page tries to reload?!?!

This is really frustrating because I often go between apps on a train and go back to Safari, expecting my page to be there, then it tries to load to no avail.

I would think it would be easy to cache whatever page you are on for going between apps with no service.

Thanks.

2. bluenoise macrumors 6502a

Sometimes, mine caches and sometimes it reloads. I am guessing the reload happens because either the page wasn't fully loaded when I left Safari or something about the page indicated it was 'dirty' and needed to be reloaded, such as a page that gets updated frequently (news, blogs, forums, etc.).

3. redman042 macrumors 68020

This bugs me too. Happens slightly less often with 2.1 than it did with 2.0, but still way too much. Last weekend I had a web page with some info i needed for a trip out of town, but I knew I was traveling to an area without cell coverage, so I had to take a screenshot, which is of course pretty limited.

4. gh0001 macrumors member

mine safari always seem to reload. I agree that it's very annoying and frustrating having to load the same page again and again.

Safari should do a better job caching the pages.

5. Ding.Dong macrumors regular

Safari uses RAM to store web pages, not the 8 or 16 GB of flash memory. If you exit and use another app that overwrites the RAM, then the web page has to reload.

6. powpow thread starter macrumors member

That makes sense, but it's still annoying! Is there any way around this?

7. 01jamcon macrumors 6502a

01jamcon

I never remember this happening on my iPod touch, which was useful seeing as it was rare to find an available wifi hotspot outside of my house, so if I wanted to read something, just load it up and close safari, when I wanted to read it, just open up safari, and there it was, no reloading.

Suddenly now on my iPhone, it keeps reloading the page, however, this isn't too big a deal now that I have internet available everywhere. Maybe its a hardware thing, not a software issue.

8. bluenoise macrumors 6502a

Do you know this as fact or is it a good guess? I have had pages not reload even after I restarted the phone. I would think this would surely blow away any pages stored in RAM.

9. Ding.Dong macrumors regular

Well, I'm not an expert so I don't know it for a fact. But I remember reading that this is the case (I can't remember where I read it) and it seems to make sense.

Just as a test, I loaded a page in Safari, then power cycled the phone. When I opened Safari again, it reloaded the page. Maybe someone with more expertise can clarify.

10. Ifone macrumors newbie

But like most browsers it definitely has a cache (as you have the option to empty that out in settings). It would make sense to ensure the current open windows are kept in the cache, so that when swapping between tabs or exiting and reentering Safari it loads from the cache first (should be very fast) whilst checking for updates in the background.

11. powpow thread starter macrumors member

+1

But does anyone know WHY Apple didn't address this? Is it a hard thing to do from a software perspective?

12. neesh0 macrumors 6502a

neesh0

I hate when that happens, i guess they try and get you to use as much data as possible

13. ScootPatoot macrumors regular

What about tabs?

What makes this even worse is Safari will even reload previous tabs you have open.

Say I am on a page and click a link and it opens another tab. I finish reading that tab and close it to go back to the original tab and it reloads. I didn't exit Safari. Why does it do this? Makes browsing so much slower and frustrating!:confused: