Safari Question...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ainjo1919, Apr 27, 2009.

1. ainjo1919 macrumors regular

I have both Safari and Firefox browsers. I prefer Firefox, but for downloading stuff I use Safari, but my question is, Why does the spinning beach ball of death keeps on popping up throughout the whole time I use Safari? Does this happen to all of you?

2. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

you might want to do a reset of safari from its menu. It should not be normal unless you are visiting flash heavy websites.

what are you downloading? since safari isnt exactly a good browser for download stuff... due to the limited functions of its download manager.

3. Drag'nGT macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

I would like to know what "limits" Safari 4s download manager has. I don't really like Firefox. It doesn't feel right to me but I own it so I can save flash vids off different websites.

To the OP, Safari and Firefox give me the beach ball only the first time I open it up and it loads igoogle and even then it's kinda rare.

4. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

safari 4b does improved quite a bit in its download manager since safari 3.x

but still, even in safari 4, you still dont get to choose downloading destinations for each download, which means if you download a lot of stuff of different kind, safari will put them all in the same folder.

There is also no search function in safari 4b that you can easily locate items in your download list, if you were to have massive amount of downloads.

safari still does not support ftp download, it will redirect you to finder when you try to reach a ftp server. Which isn't exactly a good way to go.

5. ainjo1919 thread starter macrumors regular

I mostly download random things from megaupload and rapidshare. I have no problems with the downloads whatsoever, the only things that i'm having issues is safari getting stuck with the beach ball many times while i go to different pages.

6. ainjo1919 thread starter macrumors regular

By the way, I'm using Safari version 3. I used the beta version 4, but compared to 3, it wasn't working out with me, it would get stuck a lot of times, so I went back to 3.

7. chriskzoo macrumors 6502

I've been having similar issues with Safari choking, but Firefox runs fine. I had been having some general performance issues with Leopard (Mac Mini G4 1.83Ghz, 1GB RAM) so I downgraded to Tiger and everything else seems more snappy, but Safari is still choking for some reason, especially on sites with Flash. Firefox, however, seems to be running fine.

I guess I'll try to go to Safar 4 and see if that helps.