Safari questions

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by dwfaust, Sep 17, 2014.

1. dwfaust macrumors 601

dwfaust

I am trying very hard to like/use Safari. I have been using Chrome and Firefox since I got my first MBP about 5 years ago. The new Safari (v8) that is included with Yosemite seems to be fast and fairly robust, but I am having problems getting into he work flow.

I noticed that v8 finally implemented the DELETE key to go back a page, similar to the way Chrome and Firefox do. The ⌘] thing was massively annoying.

And I have figured out how to open multiple browser pages when I launch Safari.

Now the questions:

Is there a way to add a SEARCH box to the tool bar? I know they implemented the universal box for both search and URL, but I prefer separate boxes - I often want to do a search without losing the page that I am currently viewing.
    Is there a way to force the opening of favorites/bookmarked pages in a new tab? Again, I don’t want to lose the webpage that I am currently viewing.
    Firefox also has a setting to allow me to open search results in a new tab. Can I do that in Safari?

As I said, this version of Safari is light years ahead of previous versions, but I am still struggling to be 100% comfortable with it.

2. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

:apple:-t or command-t, something and starting typing. you'll be in a new tab for search results

3. dwfaust thread starter macrumors 601

dwfaust

I’m looking for a setting to cause bookmarked links to open in a new tab - not in the current tab.

4. afsnyder macrumors 65816

Nope. I always just CMD+T and then type away. It's a different work flow but it works just as speedy and quick.

5. kuwxman macrumors 6502a

kuwxman

Right click > Open in New Tab

And as the other user pointed out, there is no need for a search box since 1) you would use the address bar to search/open in the current tab or 2) Command + T opens a new tab and you search in that address bar.

6. dwfaust thread starter macrumors 601

dwfaust

It’s just way more cumbersome than Firefox and Chrome. The unified URL/Search box is a horrible idea. On ANY browser. Why force me to take an extra step before letting me search for something?

Why not a configuration setting to say "open bookmarks / favorites / links in a new tab"? What’s the harm?

No wonder Safari is still not the default/preferred browser on many OS X installs.

I get it, it’s how it works. And everyone feels compelled to defend Apple's choice, but that doesn’t make it right. Back to Firefox for me.

Thanks for playing.

7. kuwxman macrumors 6502a

kuwxman

It is not more combersome, lol. It actually works the exact same way in Safari as it does in Chrome. I'm typing this post in Chrome at the moment and looked to be sure; unified address/search bar and right click to 'open in new tab'

8. campyguy macrumors 68040

No offence to any other posters, but Safari has offered the ability to open a search in a new tab or background tab for a few years now - since at least Snow Leopard. Lion, Mountain Lion, and Mavericks all have the same behavior as Yosemite in this regard.

With the standard configuration of Safari, open a window or tab - type in a search or website, then press Command-Return to open a search or website in a background tab.

With the standard configuration of Safari, open a window or tab - type in a search or website, then press Command-Shift-Return to open a search or website in a selected tab.

Your original tab remains active. QED.

As for special commands or changing default keyboard shortcuts for built-in commands, edit the app's Keyboard Shortcuts - I've been doing this for years.

9. bmac89 macrumors 65816

bmac89

I haven't tested it myself but 'Command' ⌘ click on the bookmark and it should open in a new tab.

I know this works for links so I see no reason for it not to work for bookmarks.
    This is easier than right click > open in new tab.

10. gamesetmatch macrumors regular

gamesetmatch

Have anyone figured out how to make Safari not remember the favicons?

After installing the newest public version of Yosemite, the icons of the sites I have in my Favorites bar remain, even after allowing the Developer menu to disable and empty the caches.

I just want the globe icons throughout my bar. I miss the plain, globe icon.

Thanks!

11. joedec macrumors 6502

joedec

Used to be the following worked to disable favicons, now its ignored. That also changed in Safari 7.1 for Mavericks.

defaults write com.apple.Safari WebIconDatabaseEnabled -bool NO

We also used to create a symbolic link so they fail to get saved.

~/Library/Safari/WebpageIcons.db -> /dev/null

I tried the link with Safari 8 and it crashes on open, doesn't bother Safari 7.1 which is strange.