Safari Questions

Discussion in 'macOS' started by kolax, Aug 10, 2007.

1. kolax macrumors G3

Hello all,

I've always been a Firefox user - on the PC and I just used it right away on the Mac too. I decided I'd try and start using Safari, since I have .Mac the ability to keep all my favorites, bookmarks etc would be really useful.

Here is the main points to Firefox that I can't seem to get with Safari:

• Scrolling is a lot better in Firefox - is more sensitive; I find myself having to scroll a lot more with Safari

• Switching between tabs - in Firefox I press ALT+CMD + ←/→ and I can flick between tabs. I use this a LOT. Can't seem to find that in Safari.

If anyone who's a Safari geek could help me out with that, I'd appreciate it greatly! :)

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I prefer Safari's scrolling personally...

In Safari, change tabs with CMD+Shift+] and CMD+Shift+[

To any Safari user I recommend Inquisitor :)

3. jakk2809 macrumors member

I don't know if this is in Safari 2, but in Safari 3 Beta under the 'Window' menu item there is "Select Next Tab" and "Select Previous Tab". Mine are set to cmd} and cmd{ but you can customize it through system preferences.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

In addition to the previously mentioned options, Cmd+Shift+←/→ also flicks between tabs, which may be the best option for you, since it's so close to what you're used to. :)

As far as the scrolling, I dunno... I agree with the poster above. I go back and forth between Safari and Firefox but I have always considered scrolling to be a point on Safari's side. :( Perhaps look on PimpMySafari... SafariStand, SAFT, and several other plugins can change scrolling behavior somewhat. Particularly, I'm pretty sure SafariStand has an option in it somewhere to change how much the scrollwheel moves the screen. The scrolling technique I use most often is space and shift-space, though.

5. kolax thread starter macrumors G3

Thanks for the comments.

I guess I could get used to the scrolling - CMD+SHIFT+[] is more awkward than CMD+ALT+arrows though! Couldn't find a setting in Safari 2 to edit this - must just be a Safari 3 features.

Does Safari 3 still cause problems for MSN Messenger:Mac ?

6. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Just gotta say: Avoid MSN:Mac like the plague.

For MSN, by far the best is Adium, and I use the skin in this link

Adium however has no Webcam support yet, so for that I use the latest beta of Mercury Messenger(Download link).

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Did you read my post? ;)

Incidentally, the setting to change it isn't in Safari. It's in System Preferences -> Keyboard & Mouse -> Keyboard Shortcuts (OS X has a universal ability to change menu shortcuts on most applications).

8. kolax thread starter macrumors G3

Thanks for all the advice lads - I've tried Adium a few times and didn't like it, but now I tried the skin you suggested psychofreak and I think I'm going to start using it now!

I read your post but I didn't realise it was in Keyboard and Mouse settings - I did have a brief look in System Preferences though! But I can't seem to find the Safari tab switching preference - am I meant to create a new rule?

I tried CMD+SHIFT arrows but only works for scrolling to the right, not left?

I've Safari 3, so fingers crossed I won't have any problems!

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Something's goofy here... Cmd-Shift-Left/right will change from tab to tab in both directions in ANY version of Safari, with only one exception, which is if the focus is on a textbox. This happens when, for instance, you are on a new blank tab (the focus goes to the address bar by default), or if you're say, in this forum, on a reply page. Then you have to click or tab out of the textbox before you can use those shortcuts.

10. kolax thread starter macrumors G3

Wee query about Adium - I can't seem to change my font colour and keep it that way, and other users font colours/styles are not displayed in the chat window (although I enabled a few bits n bobs in the settings to try and do this). Is it not possible?

Hmm, CMD+SHIFT+left/right only works when the page has finished downloading and there is sometimes a delay between a page loading and it actually switching.

:confused: