Safari Quicktime plugin doesn't like some web servers?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by NathanA, Jul 28, 2008.

1. NathanA macrumors 6502a

(OH MY GOSH Safari crashed on my iPhone as I was typing this up while near the end of it...GRRR. I'm convinced Safari in iPhone OS 2.0 has a memory leak.)

...anyway, as far as the subject line goes, that is the best hypothesis that I can come up with after poking at this problem for a bit. I hope someone else can explain to me what is going on, or perhaps even offer a fix. :p

I have noticed sometimes that certain content that I try to play back using the Quicktime plugin in mobile Safari -- content that it SHOULD be able to play, since it is in an iPhone-supported format/codec -- does not play back. I don't yet fully understand what the conditions are that prevent playback, but it's not the content itself; I can take the exact same data bit-for-bit, put it up for download elsewhere, and Quicktime then proceeds to play it back just fine.

One excellent example of this is seemingly any media file that I have been sent as an e-mail attachment to my Gmail account when I am accessing my Gmail account through the web/Safari. Specifically, if I send myself an MP3 file via Gmail, and then log into Gmail with Safari and then "touch" on the MP3 attachment link, Quicktime loads up and then I get a message saying "This movie could not be played." (Apparently everything is a "movie" to the Quicktime plugin.) However, if I download the same MP3 file from Gmail using Safari on Leopard, save that file to disk, then upload it to another web server, if I tell Safari on the iPhone to go to the URL where I have this MP3 stashed, Quicktime is able to play back the EXACT SAME MP3 FILE just fine.

This is...incredibly annoying. The application that is most impacted by this "bug" is my ability to listen to voicemail messages sent to me by my VoIP provider as attachments via e-mail (8kHz G.711 u-law audio wrapped in a WAV container). I have those voicemail messages sent to the same Gmail account mentioned earlier, and if I save these WAV attachments and put them on a web server somewhere, iPhone Quicktime plugin can play them back just fine. But if iPhone Quicktime plugin downloads the WAVs from Gmail directly, I get the same "This movie cannot be played" crap. I have also seen this happen with random media elsewhere on the internet (MP4 or H.264 MOV video files that give me "This movie cannot be played" from their original website, but if I save them on my desktop machine and put them on a different server, THE EXACT SAME FILE plays back just fine on the iPhone).

Am I the only one with this problem? I can't find any other hint of this problem's existence elsewhere.

Thanks for any suggestions anyone might have,

-- Nathan

2. crquixote macrumors newbie

No Answer - Same Problem

Did you ever get this resolved? If so how? I'm having the same problem and can't find anything out on the Net.

Thx

3. NathanA thread starter macrumors 6502a

No! And I'm still pissed about it. :p

-- Nathan

4. ymg99 macrumors newbie

I'm haveing the same problem

www.djdharma.com I put up mp3 fiels encoded in itunes, and they play on the PC and laptop, but inconsistently with the iphone. Doesn't make sense, must be a server issue. That's at least what the Apple Store people told me. now I may have to change hosting service. So weird!