Safari quit unexpectedly and won't reopen

Discussion in 'iMac' started by TheyCallMeCJ, Nov 16, 2014.

1. TheyCallMeCJ, Nov 16, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2014

TheyCallMeCJ macrumors newbie

I was working on my iMac (24-inch Early 2008 running OS X Yosemite 10.10) last night and Safari (latest Version 8.0) quit unexpectedly on me. Then never opened ever since. Kindly asking you to please help if you can.

I have already tried clicking Reopen, and the same window "Safari quit unexpectedly" reopens again. I tried deleting the file (Library > Preferences > com.apple.Safari.plist). Also tried deleting the History file. Neither one did solve the problem. I have also tried deleting all the extension (add-ons) files. I have also tried holding down the Shift key while opening Safari, it didn't work, it just kept telling me "Safari quit unexpectedly." before Safari even launches. Any suggestions?

Attached Files:

2. triscuitbiscuit macrumors member

3. TheyCallMeCJ thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes. Also tried unplugging the iMac and plugging it back. Didn't work.

4. TheyCallMeCJ thread starter macrumors newbie

I found out what the problem was.

I have somehow installed the "Genieo" malware. The same time I downloaded the extension "AdBlock". So please be aware of this extension, and if anyone else is reading this reply, do NOT download any extension that isn't from the official Apple website.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Where did you download the Adblock software from? Neither of the two most popular Adblock programs for Safari include malware/adware. What more likely happened is you got the software from a third party site like Softonic or CNet's download.com and those sites added the malware to the download.

6. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

I don't think those sites are malicious. Annoying yes, but not malicious. It was most likely an obscure site offering browser extensions.

7. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Fishrrman

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I guess it depends on your definition of malicious. But CNet (download.com) and Softonic's bundling of adware in their installers is pretty well documented. Call it whatever you want, but nobody should be downloading anything from either site.

Genieo is specifically mentioned in the Softonic article and that's why I asked the OP about it.

http://www.thesafemac.com/continue-to-boycott-softonic/

http://www.thesafemac.com/boycott-cnets-download-com/