Safari Quits Randomly

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by applesith, Oct 28, 2007.

1. applesith macrumors 68020

applesith

I have a iPod touch and love it. the only problem i have is that sometimes while i am using safari, it will just quit and bring me to the home screen on the ipod. anyone else have this issue? any ideas on fixing? thanks.

2. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

Happened to me a couple of times too. Fortunately error reports were written and sent to Apple the next time I synced with iTunes.

I also get this thing where the music suddenly stops playing when I'm surfing. And there's a coverflow bug I wrote about in another thread.

With other earlier iPods I never knew what the software updates were all about, as I never encountered any bugs on any of them... but iPod Touch is in sore need of a bugfix patch.

3. voodoo411 macrumors newbie

+1 music stop and safari crashed at the same time

4. SirithX macrumors 6502

SirithX

Sometimes something will cause Safari to do that, and then it will become somewhat unstable and happen more and more as you view the web. Just reboot the iPod by turning it off completely and leaving it for 5 seconds, then turn it back on and then that usually fixes the problem for the most part.

5. DeadlyB macrumors member

I have noticed that too. I had it crash once (anytime you are doing something and it brings you to the home page automatically, it just crashed) when I was listening to music. After that, it would only play any audio file or video file for 5-30 seconds before crashing again. If it ever crashes, it's best to reboot as it becomes unstable.

6. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

Safari gets more unstable the longer it's been active - to the point where eventualy it'll just fall over typing characters into the google search. If rebooting isn't an option (more of a problem on the iphone than the touch since phones are designed to be never switched off) then if you let it crash enough times in one minute some kind of recovery cuts in and it does a warm restart (you don't lose much this way, only the browser history).

It's a real git on the phone as the safari instability effects mail.app too (which presumably uses safari as a rendering engine).. getting mail then having to fart around with resets etc. just to pick it up detracts from the experience somewhat :p

Apparently this bug has existed since firmware 1.0 so it must be a toughie for apple to fix. Until they fix it or someone ports firefox or opera then we're kinda stuck with it.

7. Arisian macrumors 68000

Arisian

can you please provide more info. Is it jailbroken or not?

Thanks,
    Arisian

8. parrotheadmjb macrumors 6502

mine did it before it was jailbroken, and I dont think it doesnt it as much since I jailbroke it (I restored it several times)

9. Ilovemyipod macrumors regular

Ilovemyipod

Same

My did that countless times. I was listening to music while on safari the suddenly the music switches to a random song then safari quits.:mad::confused::apple:

10. applesith thread starter macrumors 68020

applesith

No, I have not made any modifications to its software.

I hope Apple releases a software update for it soon.

11. ArmanSLR macrumors member

12. voodoo411 macrumors newbie

i think its has to do with clock speed. theres a time when i was in safari and i tried to type in address field, everything was suddently slow , the keyboard responsed too slow to my typing to the point that i had to quit typing

13. mmfy macrumors regular

That's been a bug since day one with this mobile Os X - doubt it's "fixable" as it may simply be a problem of processor and device RAM vs OS requirements (Unless they cripple the OS X in soe way to reduce the demand for those processes - coverflow and safari??). Like maybe using a Pentium III with XP - freezes occasionally, crashes occasionally as RAM gets tied up?! IT might be improved in new models as the chips get faster and memory gets cheaper though...

14. gaines.michael macrumors newbie

gaines.michael

Mine too. Not everyday but anytime that I use it more than a couple hours in a row Safari crashes. I've had the music stop a few times as well. No idea why though. Not the biggest problem in the world though.

15. Euan macrumors regular

Mine has begun crashing regularly...

when i am in contacts it crashes
    when i try to edit settings it crashes
    when i scroll via coverflow it crashes

:mad::mad::mad: