Safari RAM USAGE

Discussion in 'macOS' started by James17, Feb 17, 2008.

1. James17 macrumors 6502

I was just wondering if Safari is supposed to take up as much RAM that is shown in my screenshot below. This is with one window opened with about 4 tabs in it. I hoped the RAM issue would have been fixed in the 10.5.2 update but it appears not. I have has this issue since I installed Leopard.

Attached Files:

2. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

Nop. I've had mine open since about 11 this morning (it's now almost 5 in the afternoon here) with about 9 tabs open, and it's using up ~80 mb.

Close it and open it again, they still need to squish some of the bugs out of Safari...

3. CallsignBaron macrumors member

I've updated to 10.5.2 running Safari 3.0.4 opened four tabs with one tab playing a video on YouTube and it hit my real memory about 190.50 MB. 20" iMac 2.16 C2D with 2GB ram. Thats less than half of what you're showing, maybe you have another issue.

4. Bonsai1214 macrumors 6502a

it depends on what you're looking at. if you constantly watch youtube vids, the amount of memory used increases with every vid you watch.

5. James17 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for everyones input. I am concluding it is down to the safari memory leak issue as this doesn't happen on Firefox or Camino.

6. LtRammstein macrumors 6502a

LtRammstein

If it is the memory leak in Safari, then the cache and cookies are not helping. I'd recommend "Resetting" Safari so that your history, cache, and cookies are gone. That way you can run it a bit faster at lower memory.

Currently my Safari is running at about 121 MB. This is mainly because I have 4 tabs open and I haven't cleaned out my cache or cookies in a week.

7. John01021988 macrumors 6502

Safari has a HUGE memory leak...... I stopped using it because it was using more than 400mb of ram...... Hopefully this will be fixed by next safari update (or 10.5.3)

8. VoodooDaddy macrumors 65816

Dont you just love conflicting information? I know I do :)

We have ppl that say Safari uses too much memory, others say theirs doesnt, who knows what to believe? Ive not been a big Safari user in the past. I have tried it here and there and I came to the conclusion that is uses much more ram than either FF or Camino. And I dont watch videos much, or play games or anything, mostly just news sites and forums. And rarely have more than 3 tabs open at once.

Well with the recent upgrade to 3.1 I gave Safari another go. It really does seem fast, but once again, that ram usage is creeping up. Currently, Id say the browser has been open for 2-3hrs, 2 tabs max, and Im seeing 303mb of usage.

With 4gb of ram that really isnt an issue, but even on my old mini, when I had 1gb I saw outrageous ram usage by Safari. When I bumped to 2gb same deal. I just seriously wonder, if I were able to keep Safari open for a few days, if I could get it up to 1gb of ram usage??

This is the real reason I typically always end up going back to Firefox. I used to be a huge Camino fan, but found that alot of flash/video wouldnt play.

edit- just wanted to add to this, not that anyone will probably see it. I gave up on Safari. Got tired of seeing 350mb+ ram usage after being open for a few hours. And when it was like that things would get laggy (scrolling and typing). Ive got 4gb ram so youd think it wouldnt be an issue. Back to FF for me. Been open a few days, only 133mb used.