Safari really sluggish

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jbrown, Oct 5, 2012.

1. jbrown macrumors 6502a

jbrown

Very slow loading pages...taking a long time often resulting in 'the beach ball of death'. They will load eventually. This happens about 50% of the time.

Any ideas / caused / solutions.

Running MBP with 8 gig ram - Mountain Lion etc.

cheers

:)

2. maddkram macrumors newbie

My MacBook does that eventually after I up/down load in iPhoto, or view large video files, so I usually just do a restart and it improves things greatly.

3. PerformaGuy macrumors member

PerformaGuy

Update flash player, remove old or unused Internet plugins

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you haven't already done so, try changing your DNS servers on your Mac and your router to OpenDNS servers. This will show you how: Why am I being redirected to other sites?

Flash is notorious for consuming system resources, raising temps and decreasing battery life. For Flash-related issues:
    • Find your Flash version and make sure it's the latest version available. Never install or update Flash from a pop-up on a website. Always go to Adobe's site to get Flash or updates.
    • Install ClickToFlash (Safari), Flashblock (Firefox) or FlashBlock (Chrome) to control which Flash content plays on websites.
    • Try using the YouTube HTML5 Video Player to watch YouTube videos, when available. (May impact fullscreen viewing. See link for details.) Some have reported better performance with HTML5, while some have reported worse. Try it and find out what works best for you.