Safari really sluggish

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jojoba, Sep 18, 2014.

1. jojoba macrumors 68000

Safari has been really sluggish on my Air for several months now. Has anyone experienced this/ can suggest a fix? I have a 2013 Air with 8GB ram, so I don't really see why it shouldn't be able to handle basic web browsing.

2. jojoba thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks. How do I check for that (don't have any anti virus installed...).

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Run this app to check for adware and malware.

4. gochi macrumors 6502

5. jojoba thread starter macrumors 68000

For some reason, I couldn't get the Adware Medic to run properly, but I scanned with ClamXav instead. Scan came out completely clean.

:confused:

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

ClamXAV I don't believe is updated with recent adware like the adware app. I just downloaded it and ran it and it worked fine. What trouble did you have with it?

7. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

Have you restarted the computer? (Only reason I ask is I know many people who go months without a restart.) Also, reset Safari.

I have had slower Safari experiences in last 6 months myself but I'm on MacBook Pro which is probably 4 years old and still running 10.7.5.

8. jojoba thread starter macrumors 68000

It just wouldn't scan. I clicked start, and after literally one second it said something like "there are no infected files on your computer". I'm assuming it doesn't work THAT fast? :) I tried a few times but same thing kept happening. But I'll try to un/re-install and give it another try.

Yes, I make a point of restarting every couple of days. I haven't reset Safari, though (was reluctant because it means all bookmarklets etc disappear, right?) but I guess it's the obvious next step.

Thanks, both!

9. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

It does scan pretty fast. When I tested for you yesterday the scan took maybe two seconds. It does not scan every folder on the computer, it only scans the folders where these adware programs would normally be installed. If it scanned a couple seconds and you got that message, it worked and found nothing.

Just as a test, make a new temp admin account then login to that account and see how Safari works there. This will tell you if it is something specific to your account configuration.