safari recently started lagging a lot

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by stevemiller, Jan 17, 2012.

1. stevemiller macrumors 68000

i don't think i've done any flash updates recently, and extensions are turned off, but safari has become super choppy and laggy in the past day or two.

i tried rebooting but the problem persists. also happens regardless of whether the amd or intel card is active.

has anyone else noticed any performance changes lately or is it likely something fishy going on with my system?

2. BreakGuy macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

Empty the cache. If that doesn't work attempt to reset Safari.

[​IMG]

3. Alienworkshoper, Jan 17, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2012

Alienworkshoper macrumors member

4. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Is this for any website, or just websites with Flash content? If the latter:

Do you also get a new car every time your oil needs to be changed? :rolleyes:

6. shiroamachi macrumors newbie

Recently when I view youtube video via safari, it played just fine but it cannot buffer. So even if you pause the video or go back to previously played part, it''s streaming again.

Anyone have same issue? before my safari works just fine. And I already checked that I have latest version of flash player installed.

Thank you
    Will

7. stevemiller thread starter macrumors 68000

@BreakGuy, thanks, resetting safari did do the trick. i tried clearing the cache first, but that didn't seem to help.

@GGJstudios, I am using the most up to date version of flash, and I do suspect that it is flash that triggered choppiness. It was very evident when on youtube, and I believe other sites that may have had embedded flash content.

8. Big Byte macrumors regular

How does one "reset" Safari? If it helps improve loading times, I'd like to try it.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Click Safari > Reset Safari

Resetting Safari

10. bt22 macrumors 6502

I am having a terrible time watching youtube video. I have been in talks with my ISP for several weeks now. At first I was trying to use click to flash which caused it to default to HTML 5, but I couldn't watch in full screen. GGJ helped me with that. I have turned all extensions off and still have all sorts of problems trying to watch youtube video. I cannot pinpoint the issue.