Safari repeatedly crashing after 5 minutes

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by williamsonrg, Dec 15, 2008.

1. williamsonrg macrumors 6502

I generally use Firefox, but there are a few sites that I need for work that are a bit better in Safari. The last week or so, I have been unable to use Safari because no matter what I am doing, after about 5 minutes it starts using 100+% of my CPU and then I have to force quit. It doesn't matter what websites I am on, and it is always with just one tab and no other major programs open. It even happened once when I just went to www.google.com and let it sit there. I was hoping that 10.5.6 might fix it, but it has not, as far as I can tell. Although I use Firefox as my primary browser, this is really bugging me.

EDIT: I just procured a copy of Safari 4, and it seems to be working OK (about 10 minutes into a browsing session at the moment). Actually, seems quite snappy overall, so I might try it as my primary browser for a little bit.

2. dirt farmer macrumors 6502

Seems like a lot of people have had this happen recently. The Apple forum suggests to click off the "warn when visiting a fraudulent webstite" check box under Safari preferences ----> Security.

I've had this happen twice in the last week. If it happens again, I plan to uncheck this box to see if it works. (I've been fine for a few days)

3. mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

The same thing has been happening to me for the past week. I did several things to fix it--clear cache, fix permissions, reset Safari, etc.--but it continued to happen just as you say. It would just all of a sudden freeze up when I clicked a new site and would not download it. I tried to quit it, but it wouldn't respond and I would have to force quit. For some reason, it just stopped doing it last night for reasons I am not sure of. Weird. BTW, it also happened when I used Firefox, but not Camino.

4. williamsonrg thread starter macrumors 6502

I tried all of those things too, to no avail. I even deleted all of the Safari preferences from the Library, but that didn't help either. Safari 4 still seems to be running smoothly. And I never had any problems with Firefox, only Safari.

5. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

Post or email (catfish.man@gmail.com) crashlogs and I'll see if I can figure out what's going wrong.

6. williamsonrg thread starter macrumors 6502

Is it a law of computer science that if you want a crash to happen, it probably won't?

Since I switched, it hasn't happened once, but I'll let you know if it does. I'm glad to hear from this forum that it wasn't just me.

7. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

Yup :(