safari RSS vs mail RSS

Discussion in 'macOS' started by richard.mac, Oct 19, 2007.

1. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

i currently use RSS in safari to view feeds extensively. ive made an "RSS" folder on the far left of the bookmarks bar to hold feeds. the number of new articles are shown in brackets and i can just click on the folder to view and select the feeds. it works great.

[​IMG]

im trying to make up my mind whether i should use mail of safari for RSS feeds in leopard. what will mail be like to view RSS feeds? does anyone currently view feeds in safari like i do and plan to switch to mail?

2. notsofatjames macrumors 6502a

notsofatjames

i currently use safari. I find using mail's rss support makes an extra step if you want to view the full website, it has to open safari (or a new window or tab), but if you view in safari just click and it goes there. Also i find that i use safari more than i use mail, so i spot when theres new articles on the feed. just my 2c.

3. richard.mac thread starter macrumors 603

richard.mac

it seems apple is trying to make mail the "new" RSS reader for mac. they haven't even updated RSS in safari 3. why do you need two RSS readers in OS X? thats why i forced myself to use safari in the first place instead of downloading another RSS reader. im such a minimalist :)

same for me. i use safari more than mail so your right viewing RSS feeds in mail would take that "extra step". but im now beginning to use mail a bit more now that ive setup my uni IMAP email. does anyone know if mail opens RSS in a new safari window/tab or your view them in mail?

4. eji macrumors 6502

eji

Or you could use Vienna as a dedicated RSS reader, which organizes and presents your text/audio/video feeds better than Safari and also allows you to view pages within the app itself. The tabbed interface is really impressive in this respect.

I'm personally contemplating trying out Mail as my RSS reader in Leopard but I tend to prefer strong one-trick ponies like Vienna.

5. richard.mac thread starter macrumors 603

richard.mac

then i would have 3 RSS readers when i get leopard! see my point? :eek:

6. eji macrumors 6502

eji

Not really. Yes, Safari works with RSS, but its capabilities are limited. And yes, Mail.app in Leopard has RSS support too, but I doubt it will be as feature rich as Vienna (though it might have some sort of podcast integration with iTunes, which would be cool). In Tiger, I set Vienna as my default RSS reader -- you can do this in Safari prefs -- and now I have a single dedicated RSS client that handles and presents feeds better than any other multipurpose app. In other words, you'd have three RSS-capable apps in Leopard, but only one that you'd use.

7. Cloudsurfer macrumors 65816

Cloudsurfer

I'm going to use Mail, but only if it notifies me of a new entry (like an e-mail). Safari doesn't warn you if there's a new entry, except that the number in your RSS folder silently increases.