safari runns slow, makes my mac mini fans spin hard

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Sossity, Feb 15, 2015.

1. Sossity macrumors 6502a

Recently safari has become almost unusable, pages will hang, and it makes my mac minis fans kick up really loud and hard, I am just browsing the internet. I also use Firefox, and it does not do this.

2. philden macrumors newbie

What OS and version are you using? I have just started have similar issues with Safari 5.1.10 on OS X 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard). Like you, I find Firefox generally runs fine, but I really dislike tabs.

Phil.

3. OLDCODGER macrumors 6502a

Running the same setup as yourself - with no problems. However, I do not allow topsites, news, etc.

Vis-a-vis Firefox tabs, you might try SideTab extension - much easier to handle.

4. Attonine macrumors 6502a

Do you have any extensions installed in Safari? Ad blockers etc? If so try either updating them manually or removing/disabling them.

Is the behaviour your observing happening randomly, or can you narrow it down to certain sites? Here I'm thinking about looking for technologies such as flash or java, resource intensive technologies, that could be used on certain sites and effect the browser performance, or maybe just very badly coded and optimised sites.

5. philden macrumors newbie

I have Adblock installed, but that is all. I also on see problems on my home computers, at work everything is OK with the same OS version.

The common thread I have found is Google. Google searches are slow, and when pages are slow to load, if I look in the Activity window there are usually Google ads and analytic files present.

6. philden macrumors newbie