Safari Safety

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by wichtb01, Apr 13, 2007.

1. wichtb01 macrumors newbie

wichtb01

I'm looking for a guide to safe web surfing with my new MacBook. I looked in the beginner's guide but did not see or overlooked one. Any help?

2. PkennethV macrumors 6502a

What exactly do you mean by "safe surfing"? Did you mean (in the menu bar) Safari>Privite Browsing? Or did you mean viruses and the like?

3. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

for safe surfing, use Safari. Apple keeps security well supported with this browser, as opposed to many other third party browsers. You can personalize your preferences settings but security is assured using Safari with any :apple: running OS X...

4. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

Under Preferences turn off "Open Safe Files..." and Autofill.

5. wichtb01 thread starter macrumors newbie

wichtb01

Thanks!

To clarify I was worried that maybe I had to "do" something to insure secure browsing. Using PCs has made me paranoid about what lurks around on the Internet.

6. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Well, that doesn't mean you can go to any old site on the net and not catch a virus, even Macs aren't 100% safe. Watch those suspicious sites you go to.

7. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

:eek: Heresy!

I dunno, I have been to some pretty dark corners of the interwebs and always come out clean as a shiny apple... with exeption for a few times that force quitting Safari was the only alternative to unfreeze it.:p

8. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

There are as of now NO viruses for OS X. 0, nada, nothing. You WILL hear about it when someone puts one into the wild.

Firefox has a phishing filter though...

9. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

i second that, also, be aware of phishing website, its platform-independent risk, even if u use linux.