Safari screwing up

Discussion in 'macOS' started by SurferMan, Jun 14, 2010.

1. SurferMan macrumors 65816

There was an update so it updated and restarted. Now safari is slower than before and it keeps freezing, but it seems to only freeze when I'm on yahoo checking mail. What's going on? anyone else? All i get is that damn beach ball spinning and have to keep force quitting.

2. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Which Safari? Not 5, right?

I had that same exact problem too with Safari whatever came before 5, which is why I went to 5 yesterday. But then I had other issues with 5 so now I'm back using Firefox.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If it only freezes when you're on a particular site and not others, the problem is most likely with that site, not your browser.

4. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Yeah well mine hung on launch. I always use a blank home page.

5. SurferMan thread starter macrumors 65816

Safari 5, and it ended up doing it on a few others, but mainly yahoo right when I go to check my mail. i doubt its yahoo as it works fine on my phone and works fine on google chrome. Safari 5 seems to be slower now with whatever was just updated. Ends up doing the spinning beach ball and can't click anything. Had a bunch of tabs last time open I was using for business, now i have to find and try to remember what each one was since Safari doesn't restore tabs on a crash??? (other browsers will)

I'm new to macs but not liking safari at all, I mean google chrome is way faster and on video sites loads vids faster without buffering issues safari seems to have.... safari mobile rocks and imo is the best mobile browser so not sure whats up with normal safari.

6. SurferMan thread starter macrumors 65816

7. miknos Suspended

miknos

Might be because of plugins?

I avoid installing plugins (i.e SIMBL, glims, etc). and you need a flash blocker to avoid flash crashes (which is normal).

What you need:

Glimmerblocker for blocking ads (I hate them btw)
    Flashless for blocking Flash.

Oh, and I use HTML5 in Youtube. Works great! For vimeo the same. Other videos I watch are from gametrailers.com. for them I click "download" video clicking the .mov and it opens the video file instead of the flash crap.

8. SurferMan thread starter macrumors 65816

Damnit all day its been crashing, my buddy said the same thing has been happening to his after the same update on his iMac. Didn't freeze, now it just closes and says "safari closed unexpectedly".... is there any way to get it to reopen tabs that were open like any other "normal" browser? Sucks trying to remember what I had open/doing.

I have't installed any pluggins or anything, just did whatever software update popped up which I think was upgrade to Safari 5.

9. miknos Suspended

miknos

10. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Check your Safari add-ons to see if an old one is causing the problems. Check in ~/Library/Mail/Bundles/ and see if an old plug-in is still in there.

11. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

I've been having problems since I updated to Flash 10.1

I just upgraded to 10.6.4 and re-downloaded flash.

It seems to be much better now, but when I open things in tabs (like some of the forums here on MR), I get a busy circle (whatever its called) rotating in the tab, even though it has completed loading the page.

It seems much better now that I've done that though.

12. celticpride678

Yahoo! Mail is HORRIBLE on Safari. It's not Apple's fault...they've tried fixing it - it's Yahoo!'s job to fix it now.

13. Matari macrumors member

Finally given up on Safari 5

Am now using Firefox because Safari 5 is so slow and buggy and doesn't open various pages or hangs for too long. The other day it took 14 seconds to open facebook - far too long.

Please Apple, sort this out, because i love Safari and I miss it. :(