Safari Scroll Lag on rMBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by juicywaterhouse, Jun 21, 2012.

1. juicywaterhouse macrumors member

Hi everyone,

For all with a retina macbook pro, is anyone noticing safari lagging when scrolling... especially after using a double-tab to zoom?

For comparison, comparing the same webpage (zoomed for reading) using Chrome Canary, it's smooth as butter.

2. spdntrxi macrumors regular

3. pat park macrumors 6502a

check for a system update. this seemed to fix the lagging issue.

4. juicywaterhouse thread starter macrumors member

I searched endlessly... no help—probably because we're dealing with new hardware

5. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

He meant on this forum. There are tons of threads about this already.

For my part, in Mountain Lion DP4 everything is smooth as butter.

6. juicywaterhouse thread starter macrumors member

yeah I did try that, i've heard from apple it might have to do with loading high resolution graphics... not sure how much sense that makes though

----------

Ahh that's right. My fault, i'll do some research in the forums... good to hear about mountain lion though, any word on whether you'll be able to update to the final release from the developer's preview?

7. CUsurfer macrumors member

You're going to have to wait until Mountain Lion comes out in a month or so unless you are a developer. The old scrolling implementation is just too slow for the amount of pixels being pushed around. In Mountain Lion a new implementation w/ hardware support completely remedies this issue. You should be more worried about the Expose/resizing window lag--although it could be a similar software issue, but is not yet reported to be fixed in Mountain Lion.

8. juicywaterhouse thread starter macrumors member

I have access to DP4... do you know if you'll be able to update from DP4 to the final version, without having to redo my user profile?

9. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

Not sure if you'll be able to update from the DP to the GM, but I can confirm that Safari is smooth as butter in DP4 with all the updates applied.

10. daleski75 macrumors 68000

daleski75

Not sure but good question if it appears on the App Store then I cannot see any reason why you cannot update it that way.

Although I would always advise a clean install anyway as you will be going from a beta OS to a GM one.

11. juicywaterhouse thread starter macrumors member

So out of curiosity, how do you plan on migrating you data once mountain lion is released?

----------

A clean install meaning to start up with command+r, and re-intalling the OS right? Not re creating a new profile and starting your setting from scratch?

12. daleski75 macrumors 68000

daleski75

Yes cmd and r and do a erase and then install.

13. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

If there's a clean way to upgrade to the GM, I'll probably do an upgrade. Otherwise I'll just back up my files and do a clean wipe/install.

14. juicywaterhouse thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the reply. So that means you'd have to re-do all you application settings and all that right? Like all you'd do is bring over your music/movies/documents etc. and start as if you just bought the mac?

Or are you saying you'd do a full time-machine migration and everything would be as was on your DP4 device?

15. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

After I installed DP4, I just used System Migration to transfer documents, my iTunes library, etc. over from my old Windows laptop. I'll just do the same thing if I need to wipe to install the GM build.

I'll have to reinstall my applications again, but I haven't installed that many anyways because I'm not sure if I'll have to wipe.

16. juicywaterhouse thread starter macrumors member

Just did the same thing, so much nicer ... like no lag and the computer just runs so much better overall. Thanks for sharing. I too hope there's a way to update, guess we'll just wait and see.

17. frabber macrumors regular

how is laggy scroll fixed in Mountain Lion?

Does it use the discrete gpu 650m or the integrated hd4000?
    I wonder if in Mountain Lion discreate gpu is now always on to remedy the performance issues. And if so what impact would that have?