SAFARI - Scrolling & Video content stutter HORRIBLY

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ab2ski, Oct 16, 2010.

1. ab2ski macrumors newbie

I have seen a few people posting around the web about this problem, but seems like its not too many. The scrolling is horrid in my Safari, and video stutters and often major beach ball action. Seems like its mostly Flash video (is this a fight in my computer between Apple and Adobe)? :eek: Yes, I have a few pages with several tabs open, but it will do so even with just one or two pages, so its not that. I also have various extensions installed in Safari, but this was happening prior to that so that can't be it either. I had this happen earlier this year with previous Safari, but an update cleared it up. Firefox operates perfectly. So, why don't I just use Firefox? I like Safari better, but I don't know for how much long. :(

Any ideas? Current :apple: system is:

PB 2.53 Intel 2 Duo, 4 GB ram
    OSX 10.6.4
    Safari 5.0.2
    Flash 10.1

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Have you updated Flash yet, via the Adobe site?

Btw, YouTube and Vimeo offer HMTL5 betas, thus you can watch many videos without the use of Flash. Then there is also ClickToFlash to disable Flash objects in Safari and enable them at will via clicking on them, it also offers to view many YouTube videos in its native H264 format with an embedded QT Player, though it might not work with Safari 5.

Btw, you have a MacBook Pro (MBP) and not a PowerBook (PB) as listed in your signature, though the name "PowerBook" is still the better one of those two. :)

3. ab2ski thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks so much for the quick reply. That Click-to-Flash seems pretty cool, but it would be a bummer to have all flash content have to need to click to enable, but I could see value in that for sure.

Funny enough, after I posted this I found where someone suggested downgrading to Flash 9 for the time being, so I removed 10 and installed 9 and things seem to be working much better currently (mind you its only been about 10 minutes so far, so I will have to see how it performs going forward under serious browsing effort.

Oh, and yes its a MBP...I am still stuck calling them PB. Good old :apple: , a slight change and a new name and "viola" a whole new product line! ;)

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You can add certain sites to the Whitelist, thus you don't need to enable every Flash object on that particular domain, for example add www.beaneroticawithdwarfs.gov to the whitelist and every Flash object on that domain will load naturally (and slow down your Mac).
    I find it nice though, as many ads are disabled this way, but in times of HTML4+1, they might be replaced with other programming skills.

It was a real bummer, when they/it announced the names of the PB and iBook and Power Mac equivalents, but one came to accept it I guess.