Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 5, 2012
The question is right there. Whether it's Firefox or Chrome, the scrolling just seems better when compared to Safari. There has to be a reason. I want to use all Apple. I just tried Chrome, though, and the scrolling is making me want to switch.

Last edited:

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Could be just differing perspectives and expectations.

I personally find Safari has always been smoother when it comes to scrolling, what more with the addition of Ad-blockers in iOS 9.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 5, 2012
Could be just differing perspectives and expectations.

I personally find Safari has always been smoother when it comes to scrolling, what more with the addition of Ad-blockers in iOS 9.

Open Chrome and Safari in iOS, neither with content blockers. Go to MacRumors, then forums. Flick to scroll on both and tell me they're both as smooth.

It isn't even like I'm using an old phone, mine is the 6S+.

Reactions: dk001

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Open Chrome and Safari in iOS, neither with content blockers. Go to MacRumors, then forums. Flick to scroll on both and tell me they're both as smooth.

It isn't even like I'm using an old phone, mine is the 6S+.
Just did it and it all looks about the same as far as smoothness goes. Now as far as acceleration and speed goes, many third party browsers allow for a full range of inertia scrolling while Safari limits it, which affects speed/acceleration, but doesn't really affect something like smoothness or anything like that.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 5, 2012
Just did it and it all looks about the same as far as smoothness goes. Now as far as acceleration and speed goes, many third party browsers allow for a full range of inertia scrolling while Safari limits it, which affects speed/acceleration, but doesn't really affect something like smoothness or anything like that.

I guess I used the wrong word. It just annoys me enough to switch. That isn't even talking about the tab issue I'm having.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Firefox is completely made in Swift 2.0
That doesn't mean anything. I suppose Apple uses a different scrolling inertia for Safari, because the buffering is more resource-intensive and can potentially lead to stuttering on heavier websites.

It is different with native apps, because Apple uses tricks to preload the results, thus making the behaviour more predictable.

Vexxx

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2014
For me chrome seems to scroll too fast. I like safari scrolling more.

doug in albq

Suspended
Oct 12, 2007
Try Mercury web browser. It is much faster scrolling than both Safari and Chrome. I wish Safari had the inertia scrolling speed of Mercury and wonder why Apple chooses the rather slow speed on their inertia.

kapp2

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2015
Denmark
New Chrome update is very bad :/ tabs on iphone reacts wierd, and stutter :( Google need to fix it !

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.