Safari "search in google" right-click behavior?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by OldCorpse, Feb 24, 2010.

1. OldCorpse macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

I often right click on a word in an article, for example a product of some kind, and then select "search in google" from the right-click menu. What happens next is that Safari searches the clicked word in the same page/tab that I'm currently viewing... that sucks, because it takes me away from the page. What I would like is for the search to happen in a new tab. Is that possible? I don't see this option in Safari preferences... am I missing it? Or is there a hack or extension that does that? TIA!

2. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Safari's prefs won't alter this behavior. Easiest thing (I suppose) is to right-click and copy the word or phrase, Cmd-T to open a new tab, and paste the word or phrase in the Google search window of the new tab.

3. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

4. OldCorpse thread starter macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

Peterkro, you are a genius! This is immensely helpful.

5. bibliophile1974 macrumors newbie

Or, just hit command-shift-L. This will automatically search the selected text in a new window. If it doesn't work, go to system preferences, keyboard, the keyboard shortcuts tab, services, and make sure it's selected under the "searching" section.

What I would like to know is the following: how do you alter the original service script—and where do you find it since it doesn't seem to be in any of the service folders I can find—to make it default to searching google in a new window? I'm mostly a keyboard person, but there are occasions when I'd like to access this through the context menu.

Anyone?