Safari security update to V12.1

Janeilfen

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 11, 2018
Hi all,
So I know my mid 2010 MacBook Pro is old, but it does what I want it to do for the time being. I got a Safari security update notification this morning which needed a restart. All was going OK until there was a loud buzz from the MacBook. I then noticed that it was re-installing the whole operating system.
Would this just be a glitch, or an indication (from Apple?) that this MacBook is getting too old? It does seem to be ok now though, albeit a bit slow. But then it always has been.
Thanks for any replies.

squirrelist

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2006
Silver Spring MD
It sounds likely to me that your computer installed more than just a Safari update. You probably had a macOS Security Update installed as well, which was released yesterday for Sierra and High Sierra alongside the new Safari. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201222 Those sometimes include EFI updates, which make a terrible long and loud beep when successful. Most un-apple-like noise I've ever heard. They started doing that about two years ago. After the EFI update it goes on to update the OS with the security patch, which often can take 15 minutes to an hour depending on the speed of your computer, which looks very much like a reinstall of the OS.

chrfr

macrumors G3
Jul 11, 2009
Hi all,
So I know my mid 2010 MacBook Pro is old, but it does what I want it to do for the time being. I got a Safari security update notification this morning which needed a restart. All was going OK until there was a loud buzz from the MacBook. I then noticed that it was re-installing the whole operating system.
Would this just be a glitch, or an indication (from Apple?) that this MacBook is getting too old? It does seem to be ok now though, albeit a bit slow. But then it always has been.
Thanks for any replies.
I also have a 2010 MacBook Pro. What you heard was the sound of a firmware update being installed which is included in the security update (not the Safari update) released yesterday. It wasn't the entire operating system being installed.

Janeilfen

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 11, 2018
It sounds likely to me that your computer installed more than just a Safari update. You probably had a macOS Security Update installed as well, which was released yesterday for Sierra and High Sierra alongside the new Safari. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201222 Those sometimes include EFI updates, which make a terrible long and loud beep when successful. Most un-apple-like noise I've ever heard. They started doing that about two years ago. After the EFI update it goes on to update the OS with the security patch, which often can take 15 minutes to an hour depending on the speed of your computer, which looks very much like a reinstall of the OS.
Thank you. It only said it had found the Safari update, but if its updated any other security, thats great.