Safari Seriously Annoys Me

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bursty, Jun 30, 2007.

1. bursty macrumors 6502a

bursty

I've used Shiira for the past couple years and absolutely LOVE it, except it has some reliability problems. It got to the point where it would crash every time I tried to print something, so I decided to ditch it for Safari. Man, I just cannot get used to this. Now some of these might be fixable, so help me out if they are. I want to like Safari, but I just cannot get past these few issues.

-I HATE how I have to do a :apple: + click to open a link in a new tab
    -The new tab button should be in the tab bar
    -When you close a tab, it defaults to the next one in line, not the most recently opened tab
    -I miss being able to double click a tab and have it reload
    -I miss shiira's sidebar for downloads and bookmarks

I'm sure there are more. I dont know, just ranting. I want Apple to develop Shiira. :rolleyes:

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

You can use SafariStand for this :)

3. bursty thread starter macrumors 6502a

bursty

Doesnt work with Safari 3. :cool:

4. bursty thread starter macrumors 6502a

bursty

lol, no thanks....

5. Megatron macrumors regular

I mentioned firefox because the first item in your list about clicking a link and it opening in a tab is configurable in the firefox preferences.

Any reason you don't want to use firefox? GUI integration with OS X?

6. Taylor C macrumors 6502a

How can you configure links to always open in a new tab with Stand?

7. bursty thread starter macrumors 6502a

bursty

I just cant dig the whole bloated feel of Camino/FF. My dad loves Camino. Its a decent browser, just ugly. :p

8. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

You could use real player for your web browsing :D

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

We're talking about links that otherwise open in a new window, right? Check the item: Stand Menu -> SafariStand Setting... -> General -> Open '_blank' Link in New Tab.

In order to do "intelligent" tab diversion, it ignores requests that pass the pop-up blocker but originate from javascript actions. This means that, typically, file requesters and the like successfully still pop up in windows, which is what most of us want. So it's more "intelligent" but less complete in comparison to Firefox's similar feature.

10. bursty thread starter macrumors 6502a

bursty

bump.....is there any way to get Safari 3 to open a new link in a new tab, not a new window. I just cannot get used to this. I constantly have like 14 windows open and dont even realize it. :mad:

11. tempques macrumors member

You can theme it. :)

12. brasscat macrumors 6502

brasscat

I have a feeling you're not going to be happy with anything other than Shiira. Why can't you just stick with that?

13. brasscat macrumors 6502

brasscat

Actually, I get it - you're actually promoting Shiira though a covert grass-roots marketing effort. Clever! :p

14. iCe Cube macrumors regular

Try pimpmysafari.com and look for plugins that will give you the features that you want. I do agree that out of the box Safari really is lacking features when comparing to something like Opera or Shiira.

You can use Saft, it does cost money but it adds tons of features to Safari. I'm currently using a free "demo" of it which gives me all the features but has a popup every now and again telling me to purchase it.

Download something like SafariStand or Safari Enhancer.

15. Mr.nix macrumors member

Since I needed steer mouse to get my mouse to work. I have it set up for the middle button to open links in a new tab. Works for bookmarks also.

For the bookmarks on the side I goto show all bookmarks and just drag it out so its in its own window.

16. bursty thread starter macrumors 6502a

bursty

Like I said, I would if they would fix the bugs. It crashed 5-6 times a day on me and everytime I tried to print something. :eek:

17. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

When was the last time you tried it? It seems stable to me now...

18. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Yes it does...read the heading!

19. VaDor macrumors regular

VaDor

Camino.... try it ! I love it :apple:

20. steelfist macrumors 6502a

the only complaint i have is the lack of restoring session after a crash, (which i found a plugin for) and also the stupid addressbar bookmark autocomplete feature.

for example, i have a lot of youtube links, and everytime i typed in youtube.com and pressed enter i found out that safari modified my address to a video page in my bookmarks collection. it will change youtube.com to www.youtube.com/watch?(some letters)

i haven't found a solution to this. these two are my main complaints for safari.