Safari Settings & Options Questions!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Bazzy, Apr 9, 2011.

1. Bazzy macrumors regular

Hi All,

I am not too clued up on things but I frequently encounter problems with Safari (5.0.4) like spinning wheels, quitting, slow, locking up, loading probs etc.

I have read numerous things from various places like resetting Safari, clearing Cache, deleting Cookies etc. I will admit, I do not know or understand what all this means technically & it;'s implications so I would like to ask, if I do reset Safari, clear the cache & delete Cookies, will I:

1) Lose any data?
    2) Lose any Safari settings?
    4) Lose Bookmarks?
    5) Lose Stored passwords to websites?
    6) Lose anything else or not have access to something?

Finally, websites that I subscribe to regularly ask me to re-log on even though my password is stored on them & I have to go through the hassle of requesting a new one & setting it up - it seems to happen for no reason at all - can anyone explain why & how to stop this?

Many Thanks!

Bazzy!

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Just choose to reset Safari and you’ll see exactly what it does. You have a number of choices or you can just choose to quit and not reset.

3. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

You won't lose any data, but you will lose any settings you tell Safari to reset. You will not lose any bookmarks and stored passwords will only be reset if you tell it to.

The sites that always ask you to logon to again may not be storing the cookies. What are your cookie handling settings?

What kind of computer do you have and how old is it? Do you get the spinning wheel and like problems with other applications besides Safari?

Attached Files:

4. Bazzy thread starter macrumors regular

Hi,

I have a June 2010 2.66 i7 17" UMBP running Snow Leopard 10.6.6. I mainly only ever use Safari as it is made by Apple so figured it would be best to use as it is designed by Apple themselves?

I do not know how to take snapshots of the various Panes & post them like you did but my security tab is just like the one you posted (everything ticked) except that the Cookies section says "accept Cookies only from sites I visit" & Database Storage is at 500mb.

What does deleting the Cookies & clearing the Cache actually do may I ask? Also, will the quick link tabs I have set to frequently visited websites at the top sort of menubar in Safari all be lost if I reset Safari?

I get spinning wheels on certain other apps - especially Microsoft ones & Google Sketch Up. Safari also uses up a lot of CPU sometimes & the temperature goes up rapidly and quite often Activity Monitor shows 'Safari Not Responding" so I have to quit & start again.

I have "Main Menu" Application & always shut down the UMBP via "Execute Batch Tasks" as someone who I use to know that was familiar with Apple told me to do so as that would make sure it is kept in good shape - hope that helps!

Bazzy!

5. Rowf macrumors regular

'I do not know how to take snapshots of the various Panes & post them like you did'

command + shift + 3 will take a full screenshot
    command + shift + 4 will give you crosshairs so that you can take a shot of a specific part of the screen.
    The images are saved to your desktop.

There is also an application in the utilities folder called grab that does the same kind of thing.

Unfortunately I don't know how you go about placing the images on the forum, maybe drag and drop?
    Hopefully someone will tell you how to do this in order to help solve your Safari problem.

6. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Taking snapshots is as described by Rowf here and I also have a button programmed on my mouse to do this also.

No you shouldn't lose any bookmarks when you reset Safari.

If you're getting the spinning wheel a lot, check your RAM usage and post it here along with your CPU usage. You can find them under Activity Monitor. It could be excessive CPU usage, or that you don't have enough RAM or that you have a hard drive that is failing.

See attached screen shot, just below the Reply to Thread box on the forum, is the Manage Attachments button.

Attached Files: