Safari shortcut icons on iPhone home screen

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TimV, Sep 23, 2008.

1. TimV macrumors member

I have a handful of Safari shortcuts on my iPhone home screen. I'm sure most of you out there do, as well. Does anyone know why sometimes the iphone will automatically load the webpage icon as the home screen icon, and sometimes it doesn't?

2. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

depends on if the site has made a special iphone icon or not. those with no icon have not set one up.

3. TimV thread starter macrumors member

Does it have to be a special iPhone icon, though? Many websites have an icon associated with them. If you look next to the url on you browser, you'll see it. If the iPhone does require a special icon, that would explain why the default icon does not come up.

4. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

5. TimV thread starter macrumors member

Ahhh. It all makes sense now. Thanks for the link. Too bad that we, as users, cannot create these icons for the websites that we link from our home screen.

6. juice831 macrumors member

For the pages that don't have an iPhone specific icon a screenshot of the page displayed is used as the icon for the home screen. A trick I learned is to zoom into a logo when creating a home screen link so that the logo takes up the entire screen and therefore makes a nicer looking icon. See below:

[​IMG]

7. bluenoise macrumors 6502a

Great idea! Thanks for posting that.

8. juice831 macrumors member

no problem

9. milani macrumors 68000

milani

If your website doesn't have an icon and you want to make one - or have found one online - you can use this tool to create custom icons to go along with the links.

http://clipalizer.com/

1. From your PC or Mac, just type the URL, type the name of the site (what you want it to appear as on your home screen), and upload an icon (it must be the correct size and filetype).

2. Copy the URL generated by clipalizer into your iPhone's Safari, hit the + button and "Add to Home Screen." If you did everything right, the associated icon will be whatever you uploaded.

Done!

Attached: here are some icons I made with Photoshop, and uploaded to clipalizer: the CIBC icon, CBC icon, and Wikipedia icon.

Attached Files:

• wree.jpg
      wree.jpg
      File size:
      63.7 KB
      Views: