safari shortcut to adding "www." and ".com"

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by soccerjoe5, May 2, 2008.

1. soccerjoe5 macrumors regular

hey guys, i'm trying out safari, i think it's nice and fast, has the toolbar bookmarks which i use all the time but the only thing that's stopping me from using it is the shortcut that i always use in typing an address in the address bar.

in windows firefox it would be ctrl + enter and in the mac version is cmd + enter to instantly add "www." and ".com"

i can't seem to replicate that in safari. tried google and searching here but couldn't find it. is it possible with safari?

OT: i wish there'd be more plugins, the one that i find really cool is a plugin called Piclens which i love using to browse flickr.

2. tominated macrumors 68000

tominated

i had the same problem, but safari has a better solution. type in the address without the www and the com/net/org/etc then just press return/enter and it will automatically add on whichever pops up first in the google search for it.

3. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

In Firefox type it in without the www and com and it automatically adds it for you.

4. Sorkvild macrumors 6502

Yeah this has been something you could do since the OS 9 days ;)

5. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

Thats false, safari only add www and .com automatically, this process does not involve google in any sense. You can pay attention to the whole process and the status report.

The one who does google search is firefox. (in firefox 3, its even better)

6. lostinmysphere macrumors member

Try Keywurl

Try Keywurl instead: it does the same sort of thing as Firefox and Opera (think a combination of the two).

http://purefiction.net/keywurl/

It's absolutely brilliant. My default is set to Google "I'm Feeling Lucky" using the following code:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&meta=&btnI=I'm%20Feeling%20Lucky&q=[input]

If you choose to download the beta (for which you need Leopard), which in my opinion is better, then for the [input] part just select the bubble (you'll see).

A truly brilliant add on to Safari, something that Safari should have had included with it many moons ago.

EDIT: Also if you don't know about it, make sure you've looked at Inquisitor (http://www.inquisitorx.com/safari/). Just make sure to turn off the affiliate links if they bug you (an option in preferences). It was the developers way of trying to make a few extra bucks, but I found it just got in the way. The community got pretty angry so he made it a removable option, though its ON by default.

7. soccerjoe5 thread starter macrumors regular

SO COOL!!! so silly of me not to have tried that out :)

okay that's a plus point for safari for me!

thanks guys!

8. XianPalin macrumors 6502

I guess the alternatives are ok, but I still wish like the original poster that command+enter appended the www and dot com. I am an avid user of that shortcut. IE and Firefox both follow this behavior.

9. kulimer macrumors 6502

How do you do it in Safari? In Windows is Ctrl + Enter.
    i.e.
    type "yahoo" in address bar, without the quotes
    then, press Ctrl + Enter together. That's it!

10. Shrink macrumors demi-god

Shrink

I've been using Safari, and I knew that it automatically added "www", but I never knew it added ".com" too.:D

What if the URL is ".org" or ".ed"? I assume that you have to type that in - correct??:confused:

11. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

IIRC, in the past, Safari would recognise a URL like "apple/iphone" to mean "http://www.apple.com/iphone/". That doesn't work now - in my case I'm getting an error from OpenDNS (my DNS server). That suggests to me it's now the DNS server that's doing the redirect, not Safari.