Safari - Show folders collapsed?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by IslandOwl, Dec 21, 2011.

1. IslandOwl macrumors newbie

Sorry if I am missing something obvious here!

How do I get folders to appear collapsed in the Safari dropdown menu when saving a bookmark? Saving in Safari seems unbelievable clunky at best because ALL nested folders show as open so I end up with this phenomenally long list.

(I have recently switched to using Safari as my main browser because of Firefox changing to a foolish rapid release system. Firefox crashed on me a few too many times so I finally had to abandon it. :( I was a Firefox fan for many, many years so am only now learning the tricks of Safari.)

Safari version 5.1.2
    Macbook Pro with large LCD screen

2. BreakGuy macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

I don't think it's possible. You'd have to do away with the folders altogether to achieve that effect. You'd lose your categorization but at least the bookmarks wouldn't be hidden inside folders.

3. western_slope_dave macrumors newbie

I am having the same problem, and have been trying to find an answer for over a month with no luck.

I have an enormous number of bookmarks, and have categorized them as efficiently as I can. But when I go to add a bookmark, I get a small window with every bookmark fully expanded, so I have to scroll through literally thousand of bookmark folders, subfolders, and bookmarks to find the proper place to file the bookmark. I now find myself giving up and deciding not to bookmark any more. How can I get Safari to default to collapsed folders when adding a bookmark?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

4. CreatorCode macrumors regular

CreatorCode

You can always add bookmarks through the full bookmarks editor (Bookmarks > Edit Bookmarks) by dragging the URL from the location field to the folder you want.

That view remembers collapsed folders