Safari Slow - Long "Contacting" Period

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Loudwater, Oct 1, 2008.

1. Loudwater macrumors regular

My Safari's been really slow for a while, checked a couple of other related thread but didn't find similar symptoms.

Every time I try to open a website, it starts with a very long blank "Contacting *****" period before "Loading *****" anything. Furthermore, again and again the website failed to load after the long "Contacting" period. It came "Safari cannot open ... ..." and this happens very frequently. I share my wireless internet with some other people and our internet is provider is not bad, those people using PC don't have my problem. I didn't have this problem at the beginning when I moved into this place. I use Firefox alternatively sometimes, the problem doesn't seem to happen there, much faster on FF.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

99% of the time, the cause of this issue is your DNS settings in Network. Look at the DNS settings the PCs on the network use, and try copying them.

3. John T macrumors 68020

John T

Could also be your ISP - have you checked your up/download speeds?

4. Loudwater thread starter macrumors regular

I played around with the DNS, it didn't help too much. It even has that problem when I am on my university wireless network which is really fast.
    U/D speed is up to the bar my internet provider was supposed to give us.

I tried to download the Safari and reinstall it. Weird it said during the installation process the new Safari was for 10.5.2 or later, but I have 10.5.5.