Safari slows down OS X when "Downloads" window is open

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by SimonJ, Jul 20, 2009.

1. SimonJ macrumors regular

Basically what the title says. I have a few tabs open in Safari and everything's working great but as soon as I start downloading a file and the downloads window opens, the whole mac slows down, animations get choppy, and bookmarks below the address bar have problem catching up with the cursor (what I mean by that is that I quickly mouse over all of them from left to right and about three seconds later they start turning dark grey like when you hover over them).

The strange part is that when I close the downloads window, everything goes back to normal.

Help?

EDIT: Forgot to mention that this is on a Leopard install that is just a few weeks old, with everything updated and repaired permissions.

2. Raidel macrumors member

try using firefox and see if it happens...cause I kind of had the same issue. So I switched over to firefox 3.5 and I have no more issues.

3. SimonJ thread starter macrumors regular

Well it's not happening in Firefox but I like Safari too much to switch over something like this:D

Thanks anyway.

4. Geoff. macrumors 6502

Geoff.

Well obviouly its going to get slow your downloading something. What MB is your broadband and how big of files do you usualy be downloading. I have 1 MB and if i download big MB files my browsing goes slow

5. LTX macrumors regular

LTX

I think you've misunderstood the question. This has nothing to do with browsing speed. It's about the performance of the Mac.

OP: are there hundreds of items in the completed downloads list?

6. SimonJ thread starter macrumors regular

This is indeed about the performance of the Mac.

And no, there are usually no files in the list as I clean them out once they finish downloading.